NX250 to AX1 Fairing conversion

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
Streamcruiser

NX250 to AX1 Fairing conversion

Beitrag von Streamcruiser »

Hi riders,

So I have two Nixxies which I want to convert to the AX-1 fairing,
Due to me f'ing up a set and a half of nx250 fairings.
During transport over Belgian roads towards the Ardennes things wobbeled and eventualy cracked. Resulting me driving without the front shield and the wind snapping a side fairing.
So I bought two new sets of Chinese AX-1 fairing.
The lights I bought from another seller and the lightning bracket for the two headlamps I bought from a motoparts22.com (Greece).

Screenshot_20220628-125706.png
Screenshot_20220628-125700.png
Screenshot_20220628-125655.png
Screenshot_20220628-125652.png
Screenshot_20220628-125647.png
Screenshot_20220628-125642.png
Screenshot_20220628-125638.png
So I have started taking them apart. It is a slow process, but this weekend I want to stay over here at the factory to put some time into this and myself.
I have some of the cables of the carb loose of the one that hasn't started yet.
Removed the headlight of the NX making the weird engine noise to take a look how the bracket fits.
I will take pictures of trying that later but can someone take a look at the bracket and tell me if there's something missing?
The lower nipples don't really seem to want to go in the old nipple holes.
And is it supposed to be connected to the upper bolt holes through the same upper bolts where the lights are attached to?
Maybe sounds a little vague but I hope that somebody who understands, also knows what I'm talking about.
Screenshot_20220628-130653.png
Wish you all the best.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 to AX1 Fairing conversion

Beitrag von scrambler »

Great project that I'm happy to help with. I should still have all the AX1 headlight parts in stock, if needed I can take pictures of how to put it together. At the moment, the pictures from CMS might help?

Bild

Bild

pics from https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250-ax-1- ... 100kw3003/
Screenshot_20220628-130653.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Streamcruiser

Howdy,

Let's start of with what differences I've encountered between the original NX and the Chinese AX-1 fairings so far and what kind of "issues" they represent in my opinion.
Screenshot_20220703-144821.png
Screenshot_20220703-145314.png
Screenshot_20220703-145956.png
Both shown from the backside from left to right : AX-1 and NX 250.
Circled in green: On the NX you see that there's two screw holes which are used to tighten the speedometer to the bracket.
Circled in blue: Also there Are these screw holes to mount the bracket to the headlamp bracket subframe on the chassis.
The AX1 bracket doesn't offer alternative options for the lack of these mounting points.
The third foto gives a view of the holes where the plastic plugs of the front fairing go in. Although different it offers kind of the same support. But since there is nothing to bolt the speedometer to, it just lays loose on the light bracket.
Also the mounting holes from the side fearing to the front fender. A hole with no purpose.
And that notion, while looking at the bottom of the front fairing where you are used to see two mounting holes like this:
Screenshot_20220703-150547.png
With the (Chinese) Ax1 fairing:
Screenshot_20220703-134626.png
Screenshot_20220703-132902.png
Screenshot_20220703-132905.png

So that means, with what you get from "the factory" is basically the idea that your missing some stuff.
Surely it must be possible to make some things out of bending and drilling some sheet metal. But for our goals it has all to be as much durable as we can achieve.
It's also difficult to find a good comparison of the fairing to how it should be.
Maybe with the use of rubber components to catch up on some of the vibrations?
Thanks to Scrambler and sharing the link to the original bracket and lightening, I can see that I miss something that goes over the balpin arms of the lamps which are probably in combination with the thread on the corners together in function to adjust the aim of the lamps.
Also I presume there is some little part that makes this adjustment possible since I only have the thread and nothing to put on the thread.

Screenshot_20220703-151618.png
So not much to mount yet but when you mount what you can and use a tie wrap to hold it all together you get something like this :
Screenshot_20220703-134536.png
Screenshot_20220703-134534.png
Screenshot_20220703-134531.png
Screenshot_20220703-132916.png
Also where the indicator lights which I had not wide enough to be installed while the front fairing was too.

Now back to getting that carb loose of the other one.
Having fun, this is nice.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

ok, so you are trying to use the NX250 bracket to attach the AX1 headlight to the frame. The AX1 one is different - and the headlight is attached at three points. Maybe you could re-weld the NX250 bracket?

Bild

Another difference: an NX250 speedo is not plug and play. The holders of the AX1 bracket won`t line up with the holders of the NX250 speedo. But there are very nice aftermarket digital speedos ;)

Bild

more differences: die AX1 turnsignals are attached to the fairing (stupid idea if you ask me) with metall brackets

Bild

and finally - the speedo cover of the AX1 is different, too. I guess it will be tough to find a used cover, they are mostly missing or broken. I got the last new one a couple of years ago - maybe 3D-scan & print would be an option. Or a makeshift cover for a digital speedo?

Bild
sauve qui peut
Streamcruiser

Haha, well.. I have misinterpreted the word bracket. So I presume I only have the housing for the two round lights now.
Thank you for the very clear information, I was missing this.
The search will continue for the complete bracket.
Maybe re-welding is an option. Preferably I hope to find the whole bracket.
I really thought the housing was meant to be the bracket, but your link of the 25 euro on on car.gr hasn't expired yet, so fingers crossed on that one.
The turn signals will also be different. It seems right to me to put as little weight as possible on these ''head''fairings.
Have there been any reinforcement ideas for this?
The flexing of the headlight fairing seems to cause the most stress.
I also found some crash bars on Ebay, comming from Ukraine.. so maybe have to be a little more patient with posting that order.
Maybe it's a possibility to mend the crash bars in a way that contributes to the structure of the fairing on the mounting points or will that only decrease the effectivity of the crash bars?

An aftermarket speedo was definitely where my oriention was going.
I'm also very interested in the radiator cap temprator gauge you're using!
one of the two leaks and the thread on the cap is worn. probably mendable but your solution gives also insight in temp reading which is nice.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Mo Aug 15, 2022 10:50 am An aftermarket speedo was definitely where my oriention was going.
I'm also very interested in the radiator cap temprator gauge you're using!
one of the two leaks and the thread on the cap is worn. probably mendable but your solution gives also insight in temp reading which is nice.
The problem with the radiator temperator gauge is that now I find only chinese caps that won't work for long, resulting in massive loss of coolant.
So I can't recommend the caps any longer.

Much better are the trail tech temperature gauges viewtopic.php?p=16837&hilit=tto#p16837- reliable and precise. And since an aftermarket speedo is an option I would suggest an Trail Tech Vapor speedo, imho the best digital speedo for the NX250. There are only two disadvantages: in the newer versions, you have to insert a resistor into the line from the ignition coil for the tachometer to work properly viewtopic.php?t=2036&start=40. And the (optional) warning lights are useless, they are barely visible.

Bild

what I have not yet tried but because of the large rev counter for the NX250 should be practical would be such an Acewell speedometer https://www.acewell.de/acewell/atv/tach ... e-6x54?c=8 advantage of the Acewell: there are adapter speedometer cable for the original speedometer drive. But again, the correct display of the rev counter could require something to try out.

Bild
sauve qui peut
Streamcruiser

I will certainly compare them.
Must admit that I have a nostalgic preferal to an analogue tacho.
By the way, Car.gr has a very abundant amount of advertisements in parts of the AX-1. At first sight a goldmine. Let's hope the Greek sellers realise that we deserve eachother.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks for sharing.

I also found some exhausts on there.
For example.
https://www.car.gr/parts/view/1670974-m ... ito-xrwmio

There are some more options in the 120 euro range.

The only other ones I found
Are more in this range:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/384787165977?_ ... r=1&_rdt=1

Just because one of two bikes has a rusted end muffler.
Antworten