Bike losing coolant and oil on roadtrip - please help me :(

Open for English requests from all countries!
ItchyMike

Re: Bike losing coolant and oil on roadtrip - please help me :(

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Di Sep 21, 2021 2:01 pm
ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Di Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm Is ok to travel a few kms without the cap to clear any moisture?
I would not do that because of the environment (you don't want Greta to visit you :D ). It's also not necessary, try to clean the air filter housing as good as possible.
Roger that. :mrgreen:

Ok, I already cleaned the air filter housing too... we found a Honda dealer in the way, we'll have a stop there ( if we get there ) to see if they can check the thermostat issue.

Here we go!

Thanks again.
Nikolajsen

Beitrag von Nikolajsen »

What if the head gasket is blown in a way, so the compression is getting in the water. And no water in cylinder because of the lower pressure?
Just a thought..
Yamaha XTZ 1200, 2017
Honda NX 250, 1988
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

Could be too! But, for the past 300km ( done carefully so that the engine doesn't heat too much ) the coolant level hasn't changed... I am betting on a thermostat problem, but still 40km away from the Honda dealer. Thanks.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 losing coolant and oil on roadtrip - please help me :(

Beitrag von scrambler »

occam's razor (the simplest explanation is usually correct) - so I'm in for a defective radiator gauge since all other options are extremely rare
sauve qui peut
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

The Honda dealer said it was the tensioner and we moved on but suddenly the bike started pouring water out.

We stopped, filled it again and pulled over in the nearest camping.

( oddly still no coolant mixer with oil and vice versa ).

Now we are 80km away from home, and the engine noise is worse now in the morning.

All fluids are topped up and let's pray for the best.

I still suspect a stuck thermostat.

I will try to upload a video of the engine's sound now.
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

Here it is a video of the noise:

https://ufile.io/huwt993m
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Mi Sep 22, 2021 11:52 am The Honda dealer said it was the tensioner
I listened to the video and in my opinion, the noise is unlike a loose cam chain (tensioner failure). Then the rattling would be clearly audible in idle speed, but not in this case. In idle speed she sounds fine. A clacking noise occurs at higher idle. I can't really say it for sure, but it rather sounds like there is a loose nut or bolt somewhere – so check the whole bike for that (head shield manifold?).
If the noise is really coming from inside of the engine it would be bad – worn out crankshaft or piston bearings - than I would not recommend to drive any further.
ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Mi Sep 22, 2021 11:52 am suddenly the bike started pouring water out..
Where exactly, out of the overflow reservoir? Have you seen the red light?
sauve qui peut
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

No apparent loose bolt anywhere... the coolant pours out from the plastic tank on the left once the temperature reaches 100 degrees.

We are 50km away from home now, I think I am gonna take the chance.

( If it is something in the engine it is probably too late already ).

I am making stops everytime the temperature is near 100 degrees and let it cool down.

More to come in the next episode. :mrgreen:

Thanks

ps: the temperature light never went on once. If you happen to know any easy method to test it I would also check that later.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Mi Sep 22, 2021 1:40 pm the coolant pours out from the plastic tank on the left once the temperature reaches 100 degrees.
again - that is very typical for a defective radiator cap that can't keep the pressure.
ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Mi Sep 22, 2021 1:40 pmps: the temperature light never went on once.
At least some good news. Don't worry, that light is bullet proved and won’t fail, unless there is a ripped wiring or the like. There is actually a way to check the light but you have to screw the sensor out of the cylinder head (and then the coolant will run out). Heat the tip of the sensor up to at least 110C° with a lighter (do you smoke :) ?) if you then touch the engine (ground it) the warning light will shine.
sauve qui peut
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Mi Sep 22, 2021 2:17 pm
ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Mi Sep 22, 2021 1:40 pm the coolant pours out from the plastic tank on the left once the temperature reaches 100 degrees.
again - that is very typical for a defective radiator cap that can't keep the pressure.
ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Mi Sep 22, 2021 1:40 pmps: the temperature light never went on once.
At least some good news. Don't worry, that light is bullet proved and won’t fail, unless there is a ripped wiring or the like. There is actually a way to check the light but you have to screw the sensor out of the cylinder head (and then the coolant will run out). Heat the tip of the sensor up to at least 110C° with a lighter (do you smoke :) ?) if you then touch the engine (ground it) the warning light will shine.
8km away from home. :mrgreen: I think we'll make it.

Ok, already got a lot of things to test, I will put the original radiator cap and observe if there's any differences.

( but I must point out that my brother has the same exact cap, we bought 2 of them at the time and his bike had no problems, but who knows, it is also a possibiliy to explore )
Antworten