NX lost its stroke.

Was unsere Nixen antreibt
Streamcruiser

NX lost its stroke.

Beitrag von Streamcruiser »

Kind greetings!

Last week I introduced the bike and myself.
Unfortunately I wasn't very lucky with this one yet.
When I tried to start the engine, I followed up the advise of the last owner by pumping the gas 5 times before starting. While doing this I've probably flooded the carb.
That was laat weekend, after letting it sit the whole week, Friday I decided to try it again with no success.
I ordered a new spark plug last week and checked starting with both the old and the new. Both sparked. The old spark plug had a nice coffee colour. Was wet, we dried it up and started the cilinder dry without a spark plug.
Also with no success.

When I pumped the gas 5 times before starting earlier, there came a gasoline smell in the air and I checked where it came from. The carb even overflooded so it dropped from the bottom. With that I tried to say from some line in the carb there was gasoline coming through.
But from that we can state that there is flowing gasoline to the carb.

What should I check/do next?
Thanks in advance.
-Mathias
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX lost its stroke.

Beitrag von scrambler »

Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Mo Jun 28, 2021 9:50 pmThe carb even overflooded so it dropped from the bottom. With that I tried to say from some line in the carb there was gasoline coming through.
Sounds like the float valve https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250-domin ... 155413751/ is leaky. Happens often after the bike was standing for a longer period. Since removing the carb of an NX250 is a pain in the back I always try to regenerate the valve first. First, fill the float chamber with gasoline and wait a few days. Often the hardened rubber of the valve will swell when in touch with gasoline, which stops the leaking. If that won’t help maybe a bit of dirt sits on top of the valve and you can try to flush it out. Put a box or the like under the bike, then open the drain plug of the float chamber. Gasoline will start to flow out of the drain tube (the tube should be unter the float chamber - but sometimes it's missing :roll: ) until the float chamber is empty. Close the drain plug and refill the chamber by opening the pet cock, then repeat the procedure. The more gasoline is running through the more likely it is that the dirt is flushed out. In most cases that stops the leaking. If not - get an new valve (and maybe a new gasket set https://www.cmsnl.com/products/gasket-set_16010kw3014/ ) from CMS, take an afternoon off and remove the carb viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163&p=539&hilit=leicht+gemacht#p539
Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Mo Jun 28, 2021 9:50 pm I ordered a new spark plug last week and checked starting with both the old and the new. Both sparked. The old spark plug had a nice coffee colour. Was wet, we dried it up and started the cilinder dry without a spark plug
That the Nixie won’t start has nothing to do with the float valve. It should also start with a leaky valve. There is a rule of thump – if the NX won’t start it’s usually a defective CDI viewtopic.php?f=20&t=295 Do you know if it is still the original one or an aftermarket?

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
Streamcruiser

Hi Michael,

I will be looking into the float valve.
It only leaks when It is flooded.. do I understand correctly that this shouldn't be the case in any way? That it leaks?

The CDI topic I've stumbled upon. What I get out of it, is that if it gives the symptom of not giving a spark it must be the CDI. Also that they can get sometimes faulty and then they start working again. I'm just wondering where the issue lies in the CDI now then when it is giving electricity to the spark plugs.

This weekend, I will be picking up NR.2 of our mermaid family. She is in a nice mint condition.
I can try her CDI.
Screenshot_20210629-172437_Marktplaats.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-172431_Marktplaats.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-172422_Marktplaats.jpg
Screenshot_20210629-172431_Marktplaats.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

Hi Mathias,

if you have a spark, the fuel flows, but the bike won't start, it could also be old petrol in the tank -> check this (replace with fresh petrol), before you start wrenching for hours...

Greetings from Andreas
Streamcruiser

Hi Andreas,
yes, I will do this.
Still seems strange that this would cause the overnight not starting. I will empty it through the drain tube and fill her up with fresh fuel to check it off and who knows?

Now this will sound noobish, but I am kind of new to 4stroke engines. Motorcycles on its own..
I know 4 strokes usually mix its own gasoline with oil. But I can't seem to find an oil tank. Except for the carter. Do I use pre mixed fuel?
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Do Jul 01, 2021 1:57 am Now this will sound noobish, but I am kind of new to 4stroke engines. Motorcycles on its own..
I know 4 strokes usually mix its own gasoline with oil. But I can't seem to find an oil tank. Except for the carter.
I guess you mix something up here - 2- strokes need oil for burning, 4 strokes like the NX don't
sauve qui peut
Streamcruiser

Thank you, I had the wrong info in my head al along.. strange how that goes. Well, let's say that my career in wrenching is only really about to start now.. timing issues.

The foto's from the space between swingarm and brake caliper/ line :
20210701_075054.jpg
Indeed, the space isn't that great between the parts.
Maybe a compound of some sort can make this space?
A washer?

Screenshot_20210701-083136_Gallery.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Do Jul 01, 2021 8:29 am my career in wrenching is only really about to start now
I hate to be the bearer of bad news – but that’s not good. We are talking about a modification of the brake system that was badly done. It would be a job for an experienced mechanic to straighten out all the flaws and I doubt it very much that I would be able to guide you from the distance. Sorry.
sauve qui peut
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

You could use washers to enlarge the gap to the swingarm and avoid rubbing.
But, is this modified rearbrake really road legal???
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Staubteufelchen hat geschrieben: Do Jul 01, 2021 3:30 pm You could use washers to enlarge the gap to the swingarm and avoid rubbing.
There is probably a good reason that the creator of this solution didn’t do this himself in the first place. For instance, the brake cylinder must be in line with the break lever. This is impossible to judge from the distance, so I can`t really give any good advice how to improve this.
sauve qui peut
Antworten