No oil in the dipstick with cold engine and bike on side stand - normal?

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
ItchyMike

No oil in the dipstick with cold engine and bike on side stand - normal?

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

Hi, I was just finishing some routine maintenance, and I noticed the nx250 does not have any oil in the dipstick when on the sidestand with a cold engine

If I level it, it touches the minimum.

I know the oil level should be checked with a warm engine after being off for a few minutes ( it is too late in the night anyway to be making noise ), but is this normal?

Thanks!
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: No oil in the dipstick with cold engine and bike on side stand - normal?

Beitrag von scrambler »

[
ItchyMike hat geschrieben: Do Mai 20, 2021 1:00 am I noticed the nx250 does not have any oil in the dipstick when on the sidestand with a cold engine
If I level it, it touches the minimum.
You have to be patient. It takes more than a few seconds before the cold, viscous oil flows back. If the oil level is then still at min I would fill in 0,15l oil – then the level should be in the middle between min and max. After warming up the engine fill up to the max.
Thank god, the NX250 usually consumes only very few oil – usually between 0,1-0,2L per 1000km. So I fill her up every 1000km.
sauve qui peut
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

Thanks, will check today and share my conclusions.
HRC

Beitrag von HRC »

The oil level should always be measured when the bike is upright, not on the sidestand. The self-retracting side stand makes that pretty annoying...
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

I know, but, I never had a bike that had no oil in the dipstick with a cold engine while on the side stand, so I just wanted to ask...

I went for a short ride and checked the oil again ( with the bike leveled ), a few minutes after shutting down the engine.

Oil level was at the minimum, so I added 0.15L to top it up.

It's just 1.6L in total, so I don't want to take any chances. :mrgreen:
HRC

Beitrag von HRC »

The NX 250 is my only bike with tip stick, so I don’t have a direct comparison. The other bikes here at home all have windows in which no oil is visible when the bikes are on their sidestands. So I expected it to be the same with dipstick.
ItchyMike

Beitrag von ItchyMike »

The oil window is undoubtedly my favorite way of checking it... too bad not all bikes have it.

Anyway, 300kms later, everything's OK ( but still a lot to do :mrgreen: ).
1.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
HRC

Beitrag von HRC »

ItchyMike hat geschrieben: So Mai 23, 2021 2:27 am The oil window is undoubtedly my favorite way of checking it... too bad not all bikes have it.
Yes, but it only works in combination with a proper side stand that stays out. At least if the window is on the right…

My main problem is that I don’t think about checking the oil because the NX is my first bike that needs to be filled up in between oil changes. The others contain more oil and consume less.
Antworten