checking NX250 valve clearances

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
scrambler
Site Admin

checking NX250 valve clearances

Beitrag von scrambler »

The valve clearance is measured with cold engine.
Remove the upper brackets of the cylinder head and remove the water cooler bolts. Pull the water cooler out of the frame holder, otherwise the head cover cannot be removed.

Bild

Unscrew the spark plug and the two caps of the alternator cover. Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise until the "T" mark (top dead center) is aligned with the mark on the alternator cover. Check whether all valves have play - otherwise keep turning until the “T” mark appears next time.

Bild

the valve clearances can than be measured. The valve play changes very little over time and gets smaller. At my Nixie I had to correct the valve play the first time at around 90.000km. Rattling or clacking noises have other reasons.

Bild

At this point you should check the timing chain. It could have skipped a few teeth or it could be too long. If the markings at top dead center are like this and the chain does not feel loose, everything is ok.

Bild
sauve qui peut
Wout1980

Re: checking NX250 valve clearances

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Thanks for the information...
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Fr Apr 22, 2022 12:43 pm I also removed the cover to the chain.
I think the timing is still alright.
20220301_192446.jpg
Take a look at this thread. The piston must be at the upper dead top center to check the timing. On your pic it doesn't look like ;)
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

If the big cap of the alternator cover is stick, don't use brute force, this part is sensible and expensive (24,03€ before tax, this week in Germany). You can open the small cap and rotate the rear wheel, while the engine is in gear (Sparkplug removed of course) to find the T-mark.
Antworten