Restoration Thread NX250

Open for English requests from all countries!
Zigomatix

Re: Restoration Thread NX250

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi, during my spring break I took a look at my fuel tank.
It was rusted inside !!! fortunately, no wholes at this time, but it was time to do something.
I had to do some repair : I used the restom super kit : it includes a cleaning liquid, an phosphating treatment for rust and a polymer based liquid (2 compounds).
Sorry but I don't know where you can find any equivalent for this stuff as restom is a french seller.

Anyway, take care of your steel tank and watch out for rust, it is, I think easier to avoid rust inside than curing it.

Regards
Patrick
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Fr Apr 30, 2021 7:46 am The angle of the skidplate does not fit, so you have to bend the plate. Which is easier when you cut out triangles like this, than bend the plate and weld, for better stability.
Michael,

Thanks for the more detail explanation. Last question, where do i weld the bashplate onto, and how? I've never welded before so this will be done by a friend but the more info i have to guide him the better.

The bashplate itself is easy to find, thats a plus. But they don(t come cheap. I guess those ebay sellers sprinkle them with gold dust ;)

Greetings,

Wout
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Di Mär 16, 2021 9:32 pm
Look around this forum, Mickael explains how to fit a GSXR rear shock absorber, you may find it easily.

Hope this helps.
Patrick

P.S. I beleive your are from belgium, we can speak french in PM if you want.
Zigomatix,

Merci pour l'info. Je ne sais pas ce que je ferais sans l'aide du forum NX250. (Thanks for your help, without this forum i would have no idea how to restore my NX).

Greetings,

Wout
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

A tyre question,

Is there a off-road tyre that will fit? I know most of them are discontinued but i can't imagine that there is nothing left.

Scambler is lyrical about the Heidenau K60 Silicone. They seem to perform both on and off road. Exactly what i'm looking for during my TET hunting.
And yes, they start from a '17 inch and up. So i guess that pretty much answers the above question.

I found a XL 250 R front and back tyre but i'm a bit anxious about swapping the cush drive and brake. Is this easy to do? Can i change only the back tyre to a '17 inch or is it better to get the '21 inch front tyre at the same time? This in regard to balance and driving characteristics? I'm aware about the possible cracks in the brake shoe and the larger axle diameter.

Greetings,

Wout
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Mi Mai 05, 2021 9:09 pm The bashplate itself is easy to find, thats a plus. But they don(t come cheap. I guess those ebay sellers sprinkle them with gold dust ;)
ok, than better forget about that option. If your friend can weld aluminum, you could buy cheap aluminum sheet metall (about 1,5-2mm thick) cut and bend it. Make a modell of cardbord first since that is easier to bend ;)

Something like this

Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Mi Mai 05, 2021 9:40 pm I found a XL 250 R front and back tyre but i'm a bit anxious about swapping the cush drive and brake. Is this easy to do? Can i change only the back
The XL350R wheels are plug and play viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2051 (given that they are really XL350 and not XL500R for instance), so no changes are necessary. But these wheels are really hard to find and thus expensive. A very good compromise is to get only the XL350R (or XL600R) front wheel. The larger 21’’ rim offers far better off-road stability and you can use any profile like the Heidenau K60 SiO2. In the rear the Bridgestone AX41 in 120/90-16 is a good all-around on-off road tire. That’s my favourite combination.

Bild
sauve qui peut
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

I found a back and front XL 250 R tyre for 30 euro’s each. Can i still order (online) an extra cush drive and brake panel to make both tyres fit the NX?

I would like to keep a set of original tyres for the future TUV control which will start from 2022. Otherwise i would of just taken the cush drive and brake panel from them.

Thanks for the information above and below.

Wout
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Fr Mai 07, 2021 7:38 am I found a back and front XL 250 R tyre for 30 euro’s each.
I am puzzled - did you buy tyres only or complete wheels with tyres? (pics would be helpfull)
sauve qui peut
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Scrambler,

Sorry, i’m about to buy entire wheels, with tyres still around them.

Wout
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Fr Mai 07, 2021 11:27 am Scrambler,

Sorry, i’m about to buy entire wheels, with tyres still around them.

Wout
ok, I see - the front wheel of the XL250R will not fit - due to the dum brake.

The rear wheel of the 85-87 XL250R will fit plug and play. Earlier XL250 got different hubs and won't fit.
sauve qui peut
Antworten