Restoration Thread NX250

Open for English requests from all countries!
Wout1980

Restoration Thread NX250

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Hello,

After storing my 1993 MD21 NX250 in a shed for 2 years it's time to get this beauty back on the road. The years have however been hard on her, a complete 'makeover' is due in order to remove all the rust and other aging symptoms.

I therefore started this thread in which i will try to give a detailed description of my do's and donts during this adventure. Any advice or comments are more then welcome.

Let's start off with some photo's of the current state. I already took of the side panels.

Greetings,

Wout
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: Restoration Thread NX250

Beitrag von scrambler »

Of course you need good tools. And a couple of boxes and zip-lock bags. To collect the small parts for each assembly. For this reason, take a lot of pictures before disassembling - they can help with the assembly.

One important thing: the brake calliper is best dismantled while it is still connected. Then the brake pistons can be pushed out with the hand brake lever. If they are pushed out like this (watch the brake fluid level in the reservoir and fill up if necessary) the pistons can be easily removed - otherwise you need a gripper, but that will destroy the (expensive) pistons.

Bild

from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23
sauve qui peut
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Hello,

First update:

First observation and biggest frustration... all the RUST on those steel screws. It's been a b*tch to remove all those rusted screws who would only come out after liters of WD-40 and Hulk like force.

Question: Can i replace some of these screws and bolts for inox ones?

My first objective was to see if the engine would still run after i changed all the filters, oils and the battery. It took some time but I was more then surprised to hear the engine come to live after so many years. I felt like Frankenstein bringing the dead back to live! Honda sure lives up to it's reputation!

Question: A lot of gasoline came out of one of the tubes under the engine block when i first started the engine. Is this normal? Is this coming from the seals from the carburetor which were too dry this first time? Does the carburetor need some extra (inside) cleaning after all those years?

Ever since i've been letting the engine run for about 5 min a day, listening and looking for anything suspicious. So far so good. The RPM needle is dancing around a bit at 1500 RPM but it's pretty smooth in general.

Question: The radiator gets pretty hot after 5 min. Is this normal? I replaced the cooling liquid but i noticed that the 'overrun' reservoir of the radiator doesn't get between the min and max level. Should i fill up this reservoir directly from one of the inlets?

I disassembled the rear of the bike because the subframe needs some anti-rust work. There is especially a lot of rust on the mounting points of the luggage carrier, just above the rear wheel.

Question: What do you think about the state of the rust. Is a steel brush, sanding paper, a primer and some steel paint enough for the coming months (until i have it sand blasted) or does it need more work then that? (Picture in attachment)

Right now i've started working on the rear and front brakes which are my biggest concerns once i take my NX back on the road. I would hate to see the front brake lock up on me while i'm in sixth gear. I know i will have a lot of questions once i opened the brakes, but that for next time.

Question: Do you always have to replace the sprockets and chain together? The sprockets still look good but the chain has become really rusted and stiff (see picture). Can i just replace the chain?

Question: Do i need to remove the rear sprocket to check the bearings. The one bearing that i can see and touch from the outside feels smooth, the rubber seal around it also seems in good shape (see picture).

I will also remove the swingarm and rear suspension to attack all the rust on it.

Question: Is it wise to replace the suspension for a more modern and better version. They (YSS) cost about 250 euro's on ebay. Is there a better/cheaper place where i can find these?

Thats about it for now.

Already a big thanks for all the help and answers.

Greetings,

Wout
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
HRC

Beitrag von HRC »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am My first objective was to see if the engine would still run after i changed all the filters, oils and the battery. It took some time but I was more then surprised to hear the engine come to live after so many years.
Congratulations!
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am I would hate to see the front brake lock up on me while i'm in sixth gear.
I also consider servicing the brakes to be an verry important issue. But that specific failure can´t happen. Pressure won´t build up without reason. ;)
If the brake calibers are not OK, they might be "stuck" and not open properly which causes the brake pads to rub against the disk, causing excessive wear. Typically, this happens the more the hotter the brake gets.
And i would advice you to change the brake pads no matter how worn they are. I kept the old pads on my NX 250 and they flew apart.
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi,
first of all good luck !
Here you can find some useful information, you can see how it is made :

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 2502L/6905
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am Question: Can i replace some of these screws and bolts for inox ones?
IMO, stainless steel scews are not suitable with aluminium aloy at long term but I leave by the sea with salty air...
Otherwise as long as they are standard ...
But you should get original ones for sproket, brakes...
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am My first objective was to see if the engine would still run after i changed all the filters, oils and the battery. It took some time but I was more then surprised to hear the engine come to live after so many years. I felt like Frankenstein bringing the dead back to live! Honda sure lives up to it's reputation!
Good !
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am Question: A lot of gasoline came out of one of the tubes under the engine block when i first started the engine. Is this normal? Is this coming from the seals from the carburetor which were too dry this first time? Does the carburetor need some extra (inside) cleaning after all those years?
Nothing to worry if it has stoped and doesn't happen again. I don't think seals are faulty but float set stuck ... But cleaning the carburetor would be better, of course.
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am Question: The radiator gets pretty hot after 5 min. Is this normal? I replaced the cooling liquid but i noticed that the 'overrun' reservoir of the radiator doesn't get between the min and max level. Should i fill up this reservoir directly from one of the inlets?
I added a thermometer radiator cap on mine. Temperature usualy is around 75° while running on road. Radiator fan is realy long to start, cooling liquid has to reach more than 90° ... Anyway you should check the water pump, the whole radiator must heat not only a part of it.
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am Question: Do you always have to replace the sprockets and chain together? The sprockets still look good but the chain has become really rusted and stiff (see picture). Can i just replace the chain?
I will say yes unless you can be sure that sprokets are barely new (very few kilometers) AND no rust (rust is abrasive)
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am Question: Do i need to remove the rear sprocket to check the bearings. The one bearing that i can see and touch from the outside feels smooth, the rubber seal around it also seems in good shape (see picture).
Rear sproket can be removed from the rear wheel to check the wheel dampers with no tools. You only need to pull it out. I have 2 sets of wheel, one with road tyres, one with off road, but I only have 1 rear sproket. Swaping wheel will take few time.

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Sa Mär 13, 2021 12:33 am Question: Is it wise to replace the suspension for a more modern and better version. They (YSS) cost about 250 euro's on ebay. Is there a better/cheaper place where i can find these?
Look around this forum, Mickael explains how to fit a GSXR rear shock absorber, you may find it easily.

Hope this helps.
Patrick

P.S. I beleive your are from belgium, we can speak french in PM if you want.
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Hallo,

Apologies for being so silent the last couple of weeks.

Work on the NX has been slow and infrequent due to work and renovations to the house. The more important it gets the faster time seems to escape me.

With this reality (the bike is probably not going to ready before the end of summer) in mind i made a rather bolt decision... i bought a second NX250!

I'm so eager to ride a bike again during these sunny 'golden' months that i couldn't wait another year.

Thats why i jumped right in when i saw another '88 red NX250 for what i consider bargain price of 900 euro's. It still looks fresh (no corrosion like the other one), only has 22.000 km's on it and has recently been serviced.

I know there's often a difference between theory and reality but so far so good. The tail pipe has seen better days and the plastic skid is gone together with the rear indicators, but apart from that it rides like a dream!

I've been using it the last couple of days to ride around town whenever i have a bit of time, getting accustomed to riding a single 250cc. And i must say, i'm pretty surprised by the 'oempf' this little 250cc has. It goes, and keep going until you reach 90-100 km/h. More than enough to keep up with traffic on everything but highways.

The idea behind the second bike is also to get friends and family back in saddle to join me on some TET (Trans European Trails) routes. All of them own heavy street bikes not suitable for off-roading. I've done my share of solo tours in Europe and abroad and despite the people you meet along the way it's always more pleasant, i my humble opinion, to tackle those adventures with a friend.

Therefore both NX's will need some extra work in order to get them 'adventure' ready. I'm still looking for a descent way to reinforce the subframe (i've read scrambler has made something alike), the right crash bars and skid plates and off-road tires. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

So... at this moment i'm a happy camper with 2 NX's, looking forward to some future off-roading with a friend.

I will keep you informed as thing progress.

Greetings,

Wout
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Hi,
good to hear from you. Apparently you are now also going from a NX250 owner to a NX250 collector :D . I'm excited to see how your restoration will continue. I don't think that I'll get another batch of the skidbars anytime soon (maybe the crash-bars) - but if you can weld aluminium XTZ660 skidplates may be an option viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1982&p=18051&hilit=xtz660#p18051
Cheers, Michael
sauve qui peut
Garfield

Beitrag von Garfield »

I do believe everyone should own at least two NX250's :-)
MfG, Arvid, Niederlande.
Suffering severely from the N+1 virus. N is currently 7, including a NX250
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Do Apr 29, 2021 3:54 pm
scrambler hat geschrieben: Do Apr 29, 2021 11:35 am but if you can weld aluminium XTZ660 skidplates may be an option viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1982&p=18051&hilit=xtz660#p18051
Michael,

Can you be a bit more precise about the welding part? What do i need to weld?
I'll try ;) The angle of the skidplate does not fit, so you have to bend the plate. Which is easier when you cut out triangles like this, than bend the plate and weld, for better stability.
NX250_XTZ660_skid plate_1.jpg
sauve qui peut
250oz

Beitrag von 250oz »

Ah, I knew something is missing, my second NX.

cheers
Chris
Hauptsache 2 Räder und eine Kette :D
oder ein Riemen
Antworten