No Spark...quick check

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
jonathan

No Spark...quick check

Beitrag von jonathan »

Tried to start the bike yesterday, no start, not even trying. Checked the HT lead, zero spark. New (fully charged) battery and the bike was up and running a couple of days ago.

Removed the seat and side cover to check connections. Removed the small metal cover with the two screws (next to the resonator). Waggled these wires and she fired straight up. The connections under here are the signal for the pulse generator and the regulator/rectifier. If either are dodgy or loose, the bike won't run. Worth checking.cleaning before assuming the CDI is faulty.

Fitting these connecors and wiring under here seems like a bad idea to me because they have to be crammed in, which means bending the wires back on themselves...or maybe I'm just a sloppy mechanic :lol:

funny that it was fine last week and hasn't been disturbed since. I can see how riding may dislodge a poor connection...maybe need to investigate further :ugeek:

I tend to forget that old motorbikes have a habit of doing things when you're not there :o
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: No Spark...quick check

Beitrag von scrambler »

hmm, no spark ... guess thats a no-brainer ;) . Given that the wiring is ok. Shall I send you (together with the chain slider) a shindengen CDI for testing?
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Re: No Spark...quick check

Beitrag von jonathan »

I think it's OK. My theory is that when I stripped the loom off the bike, the wires had taken a 'set' from years of being squashed in one position from new. When I refitted the loom I've probably squashed them a different way so they were only just making a connection. Moving the bike around the garage was enough to dislodge a wire. I've had the opposite condition on an old Mk2 Vw Golf. It wouldn't start on the key but I could bump start it and it would run all day until I switched it off, then it wouldn't start again on the key. It was a loose terminal on the starter and it was the vibrations that kept it connected while driving :D
Antworten