16 "to 17" rear wheel

Open for English requests from all countries!
guillo

Re: 16 "to 17" rear wheel

Beitrag von guillo »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Fr Sep 04, 2020 2:09 pm
guillo hat geschrieben: Fr Sep 04, 2020 1:57 pm Good Morning. Well, after almost 2 months, a 17 xl wheel at a decent price still does not appear. Has anyone seen something on the internet?

not really. That's the cheapest one I can find at the moment https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... -306-19793. I can ask the seller if he would sell for less €€€€ ;)
As you want, I would be grateful. If not, I will write to them. To see what they say.
guillo

Beitrag von guillo »

This is the best I can find. But they are 18 "...

https://m.ebay.es/itm/Honda-XL-250-DID- ... noapp=true
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

with any used alloy rim, it is batter to be able to see what the condition is like inside. I had a pair of DID rims on my Transalp when I bought the bike and they looked to be in good condition, with one or two small patches of 'chalky' appearance. The first job I did was to change the tyres. When I removed the tyres, both the rims were dangerously rotten all the way round. Old spoked alloy wheels corrode from the inside out as water gets in through the spoke holes and stays there. You can prevent this with new or reconditioned rims by sealing the holes with laquer or waterproof grease from the inside out, before you put the rim tape and tyre back on, or you can give the spoke nipples a regular dose of penetrating grease (the stuff that thickens up when the solvent evaporates. the best stuff I've used is made for sraying the inside of steel boat hulls...it is called OWATROL. you may have a similar product in Spain (look for it in marine supply shops) It is 'thinner' than water, but dries to form a waxy, waterproof film that prevents oxidation. https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-oil/ Good for thinning out oil based paint too!

If you are thinking of buying some rims online be sure to ask the seller to take some pictures or a video clip of the rim from the inside channel, where the spokes come through. If the seller refuses DON'T buy them. My wheels looked fine from the outside. I had to replace both which was expensive. I know one motorcyclist who cracked a rear rim. It tore out a section of the centre along with the spokes. He was riding off road. If he was on the road in traffic, he may not have been so lucky. Don't buy rubbish for the sake of saving a few Euros
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Sa Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am When I removed the tyres, both the rims were dangerously rotten all the way round.
absolutely correct. I'm not thrilled when I have to buy a wheel with the tire on, its always a gamble - sometimes you win and sometimes you find "puff pastry" in the rim.
Bild
guillo hat geschrieben: Fr Sep 04, 2020 10:19 pm This is the best I can find. But they are 18 "...
yes, and these 18 '' wheels will not fit (other wheel hubs - see beginning of this thread). Only the wheels of the XL250R / XL350R (not XL500R!) with 2.15-17 rims fit plug and play. Another question: how much money would you want to spend?
sauve qui peut
guillo

Beitrag von guillo »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Fr Sep 04, 2020 5:56 pm
guillo hat geschrieben: Fr Sep 04, 2020 4:41 pm Hi, I don't see the price in the encoder message. The translator does not interpret it consistently. Thank you.
I asked the seller and he would sell it for 80€ including shipping to my place. shipping to spain would be 21€. But there is always a risk when buying used wheels, sometimes the seller "forgets" crooked spokes or a rim with dents.
I had not seen this message. The price seems good to me. Wouldn't it be possible to send a more detailed photo to check the status? Thank you very much.
guillo

Beitrag von guillo »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Sa Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am with any used alloy rim, it is batter to be able to see what the condition is like inside. I had a pair of DID rims on my Transalp when I bought the bike and they looked to be in good condition, with one or two small patches of 'chalky' appearance. The first job I did was to change the tyres. When I removed the tyres, both the rims were dangerously rotten all the way round. Old spoked alloy wheels corrode from the inside out as water gets in through the spoke holes and stays there. You can prevent this with new or reconditioned rims by sealing the holes with laquer or waterproof grease from the inside out, before you put the rim tape and tyre back on, or you can give the spoke nipples a regular dose of penetrating grease (the stuff that thickens up when the solvent evaporates. the best stuff I've used is made for sraying the inside of steel boat hulls...it is called OWATROL. you may have a similar product in Spain (look for it in marine supply shops) It is 'thinner' than water, but dries to form a waxy, waterproof film that prevents oxidation. https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-oil/ Good for thinning out oil based paint too!

If you are thinking of buying some rims online be sure to ask the seller to take some pictures or a video clip of the rim from the inside channel, where the spokes come through. If the seller refuses DON'T buy them. My wheels looked fine from the outside. I had to replace both which was expensive. I know one motorcyclist who cracked a rear rim. It tore out a section of the centre along with the spokes. He was riding off road. If he was on the road in traffic, he may not have been so lucky. Don't buy rubbish for the sake of saving a few Euros
You are right that any wheel purchased 2-hand will have to pay close attention before acquiring it and then subjecting it to a restoration process. The tire that comes with the wheels would be automatically recycled. Thanks for your contributions. Regards.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

guillo hat geschrieben: Sa Sep 05, 2020 8:57 am Wouldn't it be possible to send a more detailed photo to check the status? Thank you very much.
pics:

as usual: rust on the spokes and scratches on the rim
XL350 rear wheel_1.jpg
XL350 rear wheel_2.jpg
XL350 rear wheel_3.jpg
XL350 rear wheel_4.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Sa Sep 05, 2020 8:08 am
absolutely correct. I'm not thrilled when I have to buy a wheel with the tire on, its always a gamble - sometimes you win and sometimes you find "puff pastry" in the rim.
Bild
The front rim on the transalp was like the worst patch in the photo all the way round. You could actually see what was left of the metal flexing when you squeezed three adjacent spokes together. :shock: This wasn't apparent when the tyre was fitted and inflated.
guillo

Beitrag von guillo »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Sa Sep 05, 2020 4:15 pm
guillo hat geschrieben: Sa Sep 05, 2020 8:57 am Wouldn't it be possible to send a more detailed photo to check the status? Thank you very much.
pics:

as usual: rust on the spokes and scratches on the rim

XL350 rear wheel_1.jpgXL350 rear wheel_2.jpgXL350 rear wheel_3.jpgXL350 rear wheel_4.jpg
The tire can be kept by the seller and offer it separately, it does not work for me. And so see the interior condition of the tire.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

guillo hat geschrieben: So Sep 06, 2020 9:46 am The tire can be kept by the seller and offer it separately, it does not work for me. And so see the interior condition of the tire.
I asked the seller, but he doesn't want to remove the tire. If you ask me - I Have a Bad Feeling About This and wouldn't buy the wheel. How soon do you need the rear wheel? Sooner or later something suitable will pop up.
sauve qui peut
Antworten