Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Beitrag von scrambler »

The XLR200 is also a very rare gem - a few pictures would be interesting :) ( and I have a question concerning the headlight - see above). The degree actually seems to have the same turn signals - parts for the XLR200 are available at CMS https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xlr200r-199 ... zb3DVS -Y0
sauve qui peut
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

Hi Michael,
the XLR200R papers show " Scheinwerfer: E350R-00 45965" it was legalized (together with the special Turnights) by F. Moze / Dasing.It may have been an exception for this low volume modell...
Andreas
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Aug 05, 2020 6:54 pm glad to hear it was 'just' the pads....best to check everything else at the same time. I can't see why a TUV engineer would have a problem with passing a disc brake. T
Good thing though, that TUV engineer checks my builds for more than 10 years now :D - so for instance I already have his certificates for the 18’’/21’’ rims or the XL600 fork conversion. So it’s a calculated risk. But the rear disc conversion is a first.

Unfortunately the regulations concerning alternative tires dimensions had changed in the last years. In the past it was possible to legalize new sizes without having to stick to the brand. But now we have an revival of an old story: in Germany many bikes of the eighties hat tire brand binding (? Reifenfabrikatsbindung), meaning that you could only use tires that were listed in your registration. In the nineties it was possible to get rid of the binding but not anymore. The NX250 did not have a tire brand binding – so no idea if the new law applies here.

Since it might be that I have to stick to the tyre brand and since I was not happy with the high speed (kind of :D ) stability of the Bridgestone AX41 I switched to the Michelin Anakee Wild. Which I knew from former builds that he performs very well on road. With that setup the AX41 is way too nervous, likely because of the rather rectangular cross-section. The Anakee has a more rounded cross-section which from my experience is better for high speed stability. That applies to the orginal setup but even more if you change geometry with larger wheels or if a high fender is mounted.

Bild

And there was the issue with possible overheating of the brake reservoir. After 30km with more than 110km/h I had around 50C° - more than I expected. Guess I will try it with heat protection wrap of the muffler.

Bild
jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Aug 05, 2020 6:54 pm I'm still waiting on some rims to come through. The company that supplies them is based in Italy and they only do gold anodizing in batches,
Sanremo, right? Ah, golden rims – sure worth waiting for :) sometimes I have to built a black beauty Nixie entirely in black with NX650 swingarm and golden NX650 wheels.
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Staubteufelchen hat geschrieben: Fr Aug 07, 2020 1:24 pm Hi Michael,
the XLR200R papers show " Scheinwerfer: E350R-00 45965" it was legalized (together with the special Turnights) by F. Moze / Dasing.
ok, thanks for the info. I was hoping for something with "stanley" in your registration documents though :)
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Yesterday one last test drive before the big day. But what is the turquoise headlight all about?

Bild

When I tried to adjust the aftermarket headlight as my last job, the holder just broke off. No wonder - consists only of thin and brittle plastic. Fixed with 2-component glue - hopefully it will last until acceptance by the Tüv engineer. There is an original Stanley headlight in the turquoise lamp mask, solid, but not DOT approve. But it's my only plan B if the aftermarket headlight breaks again.

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Can't believe that tyre binding regulation....suppose the original tyres were budget brand rubbish to keep the retail cost down. Yu're then stuck with that brand, regardless of the tyres they make or whether you rate their performance. I once had an altercation with an MoT tester and my insurance company in the UK because I'd upgraded the brakes (bigger front rotor, twin pot caliper) and fitted decent tyres. It passed the Ministry of Transport braking force test but as it was 'non standard' the tester put it down as an 'advisory'. When I notified my insurance company they wanted to increase my premium. I told them it was an improvement over the original and the tyres and brake actually increased my safety. They still wanted to charge so I cancelled my policy.

Good news! my rims arrived last week and have been built up and ready to pick up. found a guy within an hour's drive who builds spoked rims for old classic cars, custom bikes and other oddities. so he wasn't phased by the unusual hub and rim configuration. Picking them up on Monday... :D

Will post some pics over on the spoked wheel conversion thread as and when.

Best of luck with the compliance test. Hope she passed and is now fully road legal 8-)

I think you'll be fine with the reservoir temperature although a heat shield is a good idea. See what temperature your caliper and rotor is reading after a long heavy brake. Dot 4 fluid should be up to the job
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: So Aug 16, 2020 1:54 am Can't believe that tyre binding regulation.
That old story was dug up because the TüV's revenue collapsed. In the past, the TüV had the monopoly on proving conversions, but now a number of other organizations are also allowed to do so. Therefore, the TÜV came up with the glorious idea that it is far too dangerous for drivers to simply put on any tire they want. Of course, this has to be checked by a TüV engineer (subject to a small fee :cry: ) before you can drive safely. The new old rule will by no means improve driving safety because many people will now continue to use the old tire profiles.

Theoretically, the tire companies are allowed to issue certificates that the TüV accepts after driving tests. But since this year it's only legal in the original sizes. This is a problem with the NX250 because the 90 / 100-19 size is unusual. But also with the NX650 it is increasingly a problem, the rear 120 / 90-17 is hardly produced with new tire profiles. A 130 / 80-17 would be better, also for the NX250 / AX1, because the selection is much larger.

At the TüV everything went smoothly. No tire binding, the only problem was, as expected, with the headlight. Neither the aftermarket nor the original Stanley met the requirements. But now I have two years to find something better :) .

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

good to hear the tyre was considered acceptable. Not sure what to suggest for the headlight. Is it to do with the lens, the output or something else? Half the time an MoT tester in the UK would just look at the non-standard unit and provided it wasn't loose or badly fitted, it would pass, assuming it carried the CE mark, even though it may not have been manufactured to CE specification. Many of the aftermarket indicators you can buy online have the 'CE' mark but in no way are they actually road legal in the countries that require compliance. On my Transalp, I converted the headlamp to HID, using a good quality (Phillips) bulb designed for the purpose. Come MoT time, the tester said while he couldn't get a good beam pattern on it he's passed it anyway...he said "it's F..ing bright enough, Stevie Wonder could see it" :lol: I think it helped that he's a very keen motorcyclist himself
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

The Honda MTX has a similar type of non integrated headlamp shroud, but the headlamp itself looks bigger compared to the Degree/ NX It may provide another option. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optical-Head ... SwC8ZcZy82
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Fr Aug 21, 2020 8:33 pm good to hear the tyre was considered acceptable. Not sure what to suggest for the headlight. Is it to do with the lens, the output or something else?
It has to do with the lightbulb. The difference between low beam and high beam is too small or the latter too weak. I will try to adapt a different light bulb. But not now - summer vacation with the family is around the corner. We're going to Italy to visit my in-laws in Merano. High time - it looks like it won't be long before the next lock-down. Keep your fingers crossed :?
sauve qui peut
Antworten