Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Beitrag von scrambler »

Unfortunately, plan B for the headlight did not work. The headlight from a aftermarket XR600 lamp mask is much larger. The DOT marking is then of no use either.

Bild

As mentioned, I suspect the problem is with the lightbulb. It has an unusual design with two vertical filaments without deflektor. After some searching I finally found a lightbulb that fits into the XL250 Degree headlight and which has a deflector inside. Let's see if it works.

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

I was looking to upgrade the bulbs on the AX and I seem to remember these are an uncommon fitment as well, or maybe I've just got used to more modern stuff. So the issue as far as TUV is that the beam pattern is incorrect?
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

I reckon the old mid 80s' Honda ATCs ( trikes) used to have the samller stanley rectangular headlamps....I'll see if I can find the dimensions?
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Sa Sep 19, 2020 12:17 am I was looking to upgrade the bulbs on the AX and I seem to remember these are an uncommon fitment as well, or maybe I've just got used to more modern stuff. So the issue as far as TUV is that the beam pattern is incorrect?
the low beam must not be higher than the line on the pic - now with the new bulb I guess it's ok

Bild

with the old bulb there was hardly any difference in height of the beam. Now the high beam is noticable brighter

Bild

as a precaution, the muffler was wrapped

Bild

temp of the reservoir cap is now somewhat lower - guess it's ok

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

I noticed on the test ride the right hand side panel gets pretty toasty after a few minutes riding :o think some more reflective insulation will be needed...
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hi Scrambler...hope you're doing well. Still under a new lockdown here and the government seems to be falling apart, not that it was very effective beforehand :roll:
anyway, after a few more miles on the AX1 with the 17inch rear wheel, I've reached the decision that the front end could do with raising an inch or so, to bring the bike back to a better balance. I already have hyperpro prog springs in at the moment. The damping and spring rate is actually OK, so I don't want to ramp up the preload to reduce sag in order to raise the ride height...longer fork tubes and springs would be the easiest solution, but I thought that if I was going to start changing tubes, I'd also look into increasing the diameter to stiffen the front end up a bit at the same time. I've looked back through your hybrid Transalp / XL front end and I'm think along similar lines. Main concern is the caliper mounting and having to convert the yokes to accomodate the AX1 headlamp bracket & other hardware (ignition barrel, lock etc.) I don't fancy reaming out the original yokes (+2mm all round).

I thought I'd pick your brains on parts compatibility/ interchangeability based on your various projects so far.

By far the easiest way to raise the front is to order some longer 37mm tubes and add some spacers, but if you're aware of other 37mm tubes from a suitable donor, I'd love to know. I'll also do some searching online and post up anything relevant.

NB/ I'm running a late 80's XL125 front disc hub (same as MTX and others) which was plug and play using the stock AX1 fork lowers (same spacers bearings, spindle etc.) :D
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

Hi Jonathan,

the easiest way would be to use a pair of extensions, that you you could screw into the top. You may find a local shop to make some. With a pair of pvc-tube-pieces inside the fork, you could reuse all internal parts again.

Good luck,
Andreas
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Hi Jonathan,
Sorry, I totally overlooked your question – on future occasions feel free to open a new thread. That will catch my attention I hope.
Concerning longer 37mm fork tubes - the ones from the XL500R are too long, I never measured the length but I found aftermarket tubes with 750mm lenght. That would be 10cm longer than the NX250 and would look like this

NX250 with XL500 fork tubes.jpg

Something to consider are as mentioned longer fork bolts. The NX250 of the Marlboro Rally had 4cm extensions. The thread is 33mm X 1,5mm as far as I know.
Bild
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hi Scrambler...no apologies needed. I've been busy helping a friend of mine convert an old Iveco truck into a camper van so haven't had any spare time to work on the bikes or do any more research online. The extensions look like the simplest option but I'm not convinced it's a good design solution. I know people have fitted similar 'slugs' to various bikes in the past but it strikes me as potentially dangerous, especially on narrow fork tubes. In the New Year I'll look into suitable fork tube swaps but for now, I'll play around with preload settings front and rear.

Just heard today that London and the South East of England are going into stricter lockdown measures amd families will not be 'allowed' to mix on Christmas Day. I believe Germany is undergoing another 'wave' with more stringent restrictions put in place. Doesn't bode well for January and beyond.
:cry:

Hope you manage to make the most of things
RedXrideR

Beitrag von RedXrideR »

Good discussion. Subscribed. New to the forum.
I'm resurrecting a '93 NX250 and hoping to survive the TUV/HU gauntlet sometime in the next week or two, so this has been a good read.
RXR
Antworten