Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
jonathan

Re: Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Beitrag von jonathan »

Mmmmm Gold chain.... 8-)

Out of interest, how much movement is their between the front sprocket and the splines?. I have a reasonably good OEM sprocket and the splines on the output shaft don't look to be worn, but there is still quite a bit of movement between the two. I have a Honda Transalp 600 with around 40K on the clock. These and other hondas from the same era (including the Africa Twin) were well known for wearing the output shafts...JT sprockets are pretty good compared to OEM. Have used a few in the past, alond with DID X chain
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I don’t think it’s much of a NX250 problem. The drive shaft of my own looked like this https://www.nx250.de/mediapool/143/1434 ... 267496.jpg after 105.000km - guess it would have been good for a couple of 10.000km more.

The degree radiator has a shield for the fan which the NX250 hasn’t – luckily I found an degree radiator in my barn. I can’t use the entire radiator because the hose connectors are different. So I took just the shield (anybody need a degree radiator?)

Bild

Nice aluminium handle bar of the brand Lucas TRW, which I use often for my NX250 builds

Bild

With a wider / higher handlebar the OEM clutch cable is a bit short. The degree cable is a bit longer, but out of stock https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl250-1992- ... rZDzJlS98I

Bild

Since I use the “flat” version of the Lucas the NX250 cable is sufficient though. If the front fender is attached to the lower fork bridge the clutch cable should be mounted like this

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
daleipi

Beitrag von daleipi »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Sa Mai 09, 2020 7:59 am

With a wider / higher handlebar the OEM clutch cable is a bit short. The degree cable is a bit longer, but out of stock https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xl250-1992- ... rZDzJlS98I
Michael,

how much longer is the Degree-Clutch-Cable?

regards
stefan
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

My AX1 has a small wire loop type guide for the clutch cable. It attaches to the bottom stud on the radiator. Thanks for the link concerning driveshaft wear :)
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

how much longer is the Degree-Clutch-Cable?
about 2cm - but the degree clutch cables are sold out and aftermarket parts are actually NX250 stuff.

Moving on to the front brake - XL350 front wheel/ 240mm brake disc and overhauled (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23) NX250 calliper.

The XL350R has the same brake disc as the later NX250 with 6mm holes (some of the early NX250 had 10mm holes viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1697). I prefer EBC discs and organic (red stuff) brake pads.

Bild

Bild

The front brake master cylinder is from a NX250/NX650 with 11mm piston. The Degree has a ½’’ piston, just like the XR600 – which is ok off-road but needs too much hand-power on road. The adjustable brake lever is stock 1988 NX650.

Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Concerning the brake line I want the Degree setup (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1702) for optical and practical reasons.

Bild

To measure the exact length I made a mock-up of an aluminium tube and old brake lines. I usually order brake lines from probrake https://www.probrake.de/Custom-steel-br ... ifications - affordable, high quality and fast.

Bild

Passenger foot pegs from the XL250 degree and universal toothed footpegs for the driver https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/lo ... r/10046551 ;)

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Looking good Scrambler :D Have you had any thoughts about gearing, or have I missed something? I was wondering whether to go a couple of teeth larger on the rear if I go for the 17 inch rim conversion. Still waiting on parts return (front and rear hubs) from the powder coaters. He's not been working full-time during Lockdown. Everyday's another government schlamassel in the UK...I envy your leader ;)
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Di Mai 19, 2020 12:38 am Looking good Scrambler :D Have you had any thoughts about gearing, or have I missed something? I was wondering whether to go a couple of teeth larger on the rear if I go for the 17 inch rim conversion. Still waiting on parts return (front and rear hubs) from the powder coaters. He's not been working full-time during Lockdown. Everyday's another government schlamassel in the UK...I envy your leader ;)

I’ve been using a 43 th sprocket, that’s my dual purpose favourite for a good going MD21 engine. With a 45th sprocket the engine is revving too high on the German Autobahn :D .
Concerning the secondary drive I should mention the lower chain slider. It’s rarely worn out (given that the chain slack is ok), in most cases just the tip of the rubber shows signs of wear. Good thing though, since the slider is sold out, so sooner or later we’ll have to initiate a repro.

Bild

Bild

The custom brake line arrived after 3 days - and I bought an Acerbis Nost front fender. Not my first choice but an OEM XL600R fender (I like the look) was nowhere to find.

Bild

The diameter of the Nost fender is too large, presumably it was meant for 21-23’’ front wheels. So it’s a tight fit to the clutch cable / radiator. The XL600R fender fits better, I had one at my own NX http://www.hondadominator.de/textpic/pic_33_02.jpg

Bild
jonathan hat geschrieben: Di Mai 19, 2020 12:38 am Everyday's another government schlamassel in the UK...I envy your leader ;)
I would exchange her for Madame Thatcher "We want our money back" immediately :) . Our glorious leader just offered 500 billion Euros to the EU for free (no return and no control of how the money is used whatsoever - the Italians and the German mainstream love that idea), just like we could print money.
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Thanks for the reply re the gearing. I ordered a 44T working on the principle that the 17 inch rear plus tyre will be a % bigger than stock.If it feels too low I can drop a couple of teeth. Steel sprockets for the KTM aren't that expensive!.

Have you tried https://www.enduroklassiker.at/en/ for a fender?
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Mai 27, 2020 4:19 pm Have you tried https://www.enduroklassiker.at/en/ for a fender?
No luck – the XL600R fender is nowhere to find. There is a repro in the US, but they don’t ship abroad. The XL fender is unique in having a protection for the brake line.

Bild

White fenders are extremely rare (most XL600R sold were red or black). Oh well, sooner or later one will pop up.

Bild

Over the winter I tried to find throttle cables that fit but to no avail. NX650 cables are too short, XL500 too long. The problem is that I could not find a documentation where the lengths of original cables are listed. The problem is aggravated by aftermarket cables where “one size fits all” - meaning that they are way too long.

Bild

So I finally ended up with shortening a XL500 cable using a screw-nipple (?) - not an ideal solution but it’ll work for the time beeing.

Bild

for some reason aftermarket air filter of the brand hiflow or emgo never fit perfectly - the lower right bore-hole does not line up and needs re-working

Bild

So much white paint - I’m not sure if I keep that but I already decided to postpone the paint-job to the next winter in order to get it running as soon as possible.

Bild
sauve qui peut
Antworten