NX250 AX1 spoke wheel conversion

Open for English requests from all countries!
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 AX1 spoke wheel conversion

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Okt 09, 2019 9:37 pm Rim width is the next thing to ponder, as it affects how the tyre actually sits...all good fun! :roll:
I would go with a 3.00 rim. Newer adventure 130/80 tires need that width and the diameter would be smaller as with the older 2.50 rims (XL600R etc.)
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Do Okt 10, 2019 7:20 am
jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Okt 09, 2019 9:37 pm Rim width is the next thing to ponder, as it affects how the tyre actually sits...all good fun! :roll:
I would go with a 3.00 rim. Newer adventure 130/80 tires need that width and the diameter would be smaller as with the older 2.50 rims (XL600R etc.)
Yep...those are the lines along which I was thinking. There's a company in the UK called SM Pro who do a good range of rims (drilled or undrilled) so I'll probably go with a pair of these. I figured on black hubs and matt gold rims, in keeping with Honda's trail bike tradition...plus the AX1 looks a bit like an Africa Twin on a diet...maybe a bit 'bling' but I'm a fan of gold rims 8-)
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Do Okt 10, 2019 4:40 pm I figured on black hubs and matt gold rims, in keeping with Honda's trail bike tradition...plus the AX1 looks a bit like an Africa Twin on a diet...maybe a bit 'bling' but I'm a fan of gold rims 8-)
Me too. My 88 NX650 had golden rims too – quite fashionable at that time. Later on they became kinda old-fashioned and many were painted black. Nowadays the golden rims have a revival e.g. Ducati Scrambler. I toying with the idea of building a “black beauty” NX250/AX1 in the style of the 88 NX650 – entirely in black with golden rims viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1108. The main problem is getting affordable golden DID rims - that 36 spoke Transalp rim https://www.ebay.de/itm/WM3-2-15-X-19-3 ... SwI-BWIZ6F should fit an NX250 hub. In the rear I can only find NX650 rims – for 32 spokes, so no use for a NX250 hub. I could take NX650 rear wheel / swingarm / rear disc brake but its not a plug and play conversion.
Ok, back to the topic.
I found a sketch of one spacer – the right one (brake side). I didn’t change the middle one besides the diameter, the left one I would have to remove in order to measure.
The tricky part: the KTM spacer system is a bit different from Honda – they are firmly attached to the hub (so they can’t fall out which I like better). That’s not easy to measure and to produce, a bit too much and the spacers won’t fit into the hub.

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

I think it would be easier to have a good used rim re-anodised. Last time I looked into it, it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.
I managed to find a 'new old stock' front DID for my Transalp 600 from one of the German Ebay dealers, but I paid through the nose for it.
It would also be worth asking Hristo at the link below. He seems to have a good supply of honda trail and dual sport spares...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/rexanrr

I think a 'black beauty' NX homage would look fantastic...but I'd be tempted to do the decals in gold as well.....push the bling boat out! :D
MTX 125/200 disc and fork guards would fit the NX forks, to complete the look

Thanks for the spacer dimensions, Scrambler! I'm going to have a trial fit this weekend and see how things line up. I need to fit a rotor to be 100% but I should be able to get a general idea...

Ran into a small problem with the XL125RH front hub...the AX1 rotor fits perfectly, but the mounting holes are larger to accommodate shouldered bolts. The XL rotor has smaller holes and plain bolts, so a new disc and bolts are on the (ever growing) shopping list :|
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

I'll be taking the hub and spindle down to my local machine shop sometime this week, so I'll post dimensions for the spacers once finalized. I found that the sprocket side spacer needs +2mm added to the outer face for the correct chainline. I added a 2mm washer to verify, but this meant that the rotor side chain tensioner bracket had to be omitted, in order for the hub to fit. The inner face of the rotor also fouled the inboard side of the caliper mounting bracket.
It just so happens that the chain tensioner brackets are +/-2mm thick, so by removing 2mm from the rotor side wheel spacer, everything will fit (including the tensioner bracket) without having to splay out the swingarm. I may have to add shims to ensure the rotor is properly centralized.
g1198.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I discovered that when the nut of the wheel axle was tightened I could not turn the wheel. But it turned out to be a minor problem – the screws of the disc brake collide with the AX1 brake bracket. While at it I noticed that the brake disc is not centred in the bracket – apparently I mismeasured, the wheel should move 1mm to the left.

Bild

Dang … measure once, cut twice or somethin’ … what happened to German precision. Oh well, for the time being a 1mm washer will do the job, maybe later I have another spacer produced. That will take care of the screw problem. additionally I'll use flatter round headed bolts.

Bild

Since there is a 3mm gap between spacers and swingarm the additional 1mm washer won’t be a problem.

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hi Michael....I'm still here! just glad to get Christmas and New Year out of the way....Frohes neues Jahr, by the way!
When I was offering my wheel hub up to take some measurements, I remember noting that to centre the rim in the swing arm, the outboard side of the disc rotor would foul on the inboard edge of the caliper, and a spacer between the hub face and the rotor would be required to move the rotor further outboard by approximately 4mm. I discovered that KTM actually make several spacers for this very reason to account for different models, I think they come in 4, 6 and 8mm, but it looks like you have the opposite problem...ie the rotor is touch too far outboard. when I specified the wheel spacers, I asked the machinist to increase the sprocket side spacer by 2mm to accommodate the missing axle adjuster bracket (see post above), but allowed + 2mm so I have some leeway to use washers on either side, if necessary. Zero progress on mine, but I'm about to restart work on it shortly... :)

I think that since we're dealing with small discrepancies (+/-1 or 2mm) the age and condition of the swingarm, frame etc. have a bearing, so for my money, as long as I have a good chainline, and the rotor doesn't drag, the rim will be where it will be, dead central or otherwise!
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Hi Jonathan,
good to hear from you – and I hope you had happy holidays, too!
Interesting info about the different KTM spacers – but as long as the distance brake disc to sprocket is as stock AX1 I guess it’s ok to move the entire wheel a few mm to the left or right. That’s how I solved my problem – I got a 17mm washer and now the brake disc is perfectly centred in the AX1 brake calliper holder. The round headed bolts wouldn’t be necessary, but just to be sure.

Bild

I choose a brand-new Bridgestone AX41 4.10-18 tire for my conversion – that dimension has only a bit larger diameter than the stock 120/90-16.

Bild

So there is enough space between swingarm and the larger tire – but I’m thinking of some kind protection for the aluminium.

Bild
sauve qui peut
daleipi

Beitrag von daleipi »

NX650_bestof_rear_AX1_410_18_2edit.jpg
is the welding seam opening up here?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

not decided on tyre choice yet. there are a few available in 17inch with a fairly low profile (for a dual sport). The power steering pump failed without warning, on my piece of s**t Vauxhall (Opel) Meriva today....very nearly hit a truck! £££s to replace so there goes my bike resto fund (again!). I wouldn't mind but it's a 2011 model, only covered 63000 miles, with full service history and I've already had to have the Gearbox rebuilt! Total crap IMO.
Think I'll be looking for a 90's Japanese built car very shortly :roll:
Antworten