Restoration Thread NX250

Open for English requests from all countries!
Wout1980

Re: Restoration Thread NX250

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Michael and others,

As advised, i will leave the back tyre for what it is (a ‘16 inch) and will try finding a ‘21 inch for the front. There are a couple of offers on eBay but the price is always around the 120-140 mark, shipping included. Is this the benchmark for a XL 350 r front rim anno 2021? If so i have little choice but to pay whats on offer.

Regarding the muffler, one of them is making a lot of noise because the second part of the inside is prettig much gone (see picture). Is this still repairable? Can i weld a new end cap with a smaller diameter onto the muffler in the hope of reducing the sound a bit? Can this restriction harm the motor itself?

I’m about to buy 2 GSF 600 shock absorbers to replace the stock one. Both of them are about 80 euro’s, shipping and low km’s included. Question, do I have to take the metal dial (to set the shock) from the shock before I grind away certain parts or can I leave it on? What’s the best way to grind a couple a millimeters from the top end?

I’ve done my first bit of off-road this weekend on street tyres. I wasn’t really comfortable in the corners due to a slippery front tyre but the overall feeling was great! Question: are the stock handle bars high enough for standing up for a long period of time? I found myself moving as much to the front as possible in order to find a comfortable position, with my knees desperately trying to grip a slippery tank. Its also hard to change gears once I was standing up. Is there a bigger longer gear shifter I can use to replace the standard one?

Thanks

Wout
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Garfield

Beitrag von Garfield »

Wout,

Whether the stock steer is high enough to stand up depends fully on you.

I have just completed the following modifications on my 'offroad' NX (I have two):

- Pivotpegz footrests (Transalp 650 type fits)
- Transalp 600 steer (this requires a longer clutch cable and a longer brake line plus rerouting of all other cables and drilling an extra hole in the steer)

I also have a slightly longer and collapsible gear shift lever but that was already on the bike when I bought it. I think it is the Louis one that is listed as fitting the Yamaha XT500, it's mentioned in other topics on this forum.

With these modifications I can now comfortably stand for offroad use. I am 1.82m but my legs are relatively short so for you it might be different.
MfG, Arvid, Niederlande.
Suffering severely from the N+1 virus. N is currently 7, including a NX250
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Di Mai 11, 2021 6:34 pmThere are a couple of offers on eBay but the price is always around the 120-140 mark, shipping included. Is this the benchmark for a XL 350 r front rim anno 2021? If so i have little choice but to pay whats on offer.
If you are patient you can get the wheel for less. Ebay is usually pretty expensive, take a look at the classifieds in your area. Around here you can get a XL600R wheel for 50€.
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Di Mai 11, 2021 6:34 pmRegarding the muffler, one of them is making a lot of noise because the second part of the inside is prettig much gone (see picture). Is this still repairable?
It is, if you weld the db-killer back into place viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25&start=90 If the db-killer is lost you can take a pipe with 25mm diameter. It will dampen the noise quite efficient but won’t harm the power output.
dbkiller_nx250.jpg
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Di Mai 11, 2021 6:34 pm I’m about to buy 2 GSF 600 shock absorbers to replace the stock one. Both of them are about 80 euro’s, shipping and low km’s included. Question, do I have to take the metal dial (to set the shock) from the shock before I grind away certain parts or can I leave it on?
You can, if you are careful not to grind into the shocks body. Make sure you got the right GSF600 shock.
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Di Mai 11, 2021 6:34 pm Question: are the stock handle bars high enough for standing up for a long period of time?
I have no crystal ball :D , so no idea about your height. Up to 170cm its ok. With my 180cm I would need a 5cm higher handlebar or riser. Bild
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Di Mai 11, 2021 6:34 pm Its also hard to change gears once I was standing up. Is there a bigger longer gear shifter I can use to replace the standard one?
You can mount the shifter one teeth higher (the sprocket cover might be modified a bit). An XT600 aluminum lever is a bit longer https://www.ebay.de/itm/361167391282?ha ... SwQzJb4~HS
Bild
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi, I have to take a look at my original mufler. I might still have the original Db killer.
If you are lucky you can weld it back in your silencer. I will be glad to send it to you.
But be patient, I will not be at home until next sunday.

Orther solution is to rebuild the whole back part as Mickael and I did ...
See here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1681&start=10
Problem is we might never be able to get TUV agreement with this exhaust (Europe is speaking about TUV in every country for motorcycles).
That is why I bought another mufler in pretty good condition. I will restore it and keep it safe for the TUV days. Any orther day I will ride with the home made. It is quiet enough and works realy great. I had several meetings with police and they never even noticed me :D

See you
Patrick
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Garfield hat geschrieben: Di Mai 11, 2021 6:56 pm I also have a slightly longer and collapsible gear shift lever but that was already on the bike when I bought it. I think it is the Louis one that is listed as fitting the Yamaha XT500, it's mentioned in other topics on this forum.
With these modifications I can now comfortably stand for offroad use. I am 1.82m but my legs are relatively short so for you it might be different.
Garfield,

Thanks for the tip. The gear lever is as good as ordered. I’m still looking for the footrests.

Making the brakelines and other cables longer seems like quite the job, but a necessary one. Why did you make an extra hole in the steer itself?

Greetings, Wout

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Mi Mai 12, 2021 8:40 am Hi, I have to take a look at my original mufler. I might still have the original Db killer.
If you are lucky you can weld it back in your silencer. I will be glad to send it to you.
But be patient, I will not be at home until next sunday.

Orther solution is to rebuild the whole back part as Mickael and I did ...
See here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1681&start=10
Problem is we might never be able to get TUV agreement with this exhaust (Europe is speaking about TUV in every country for motorcycles).
That is why I bought another mufler in pretty good condition. I will restore it and keep it safe for the TUV days. Any orther day I will ride with the home made. It is quiet enough and works realy great. I had several meetings with police and they never even noticed me :D
Patrick,

Thanks for the info and offer. That silencer would come very handy indeed. I’m also worried about the upcoming European TUV, a working and approved silencer seems like a necessity if we want a ‘thumbs up’ from the TUV.

scrambler hat geschrieben: Mi Mai 12, 2021 8:20 am If you are patient you can get the wheel for less. Ebay is usually pretty expensive, take a look at the classifieds in your area. Around here you can get a XL600R wheel for 50€.
Michael,

Thanks for the info,

Although I’m only 180 cm, with short legs, I think I still need those bar risers to comfortable.

I will be looking out for those cheaper rims. But I’m afraid that this flat small country I live in doesn’t offer the same possibilities as yours regarding second hand off-road supplies. Fingers crossed.

Greetings to all,

Wout
Garfield

Beitrag von Garfield »

The extra hole was necessary so that the switch unit on one side (can't remember which side) gets positioned correctly. Each switch unit has a little metal tab that slots in a hole of the steer. Apparently the tab on one switch unit of a Transalp is positioned differently than on a Dominator 250. You need to drill the hole about 5 cm more towards the centre of the steer. Once you have the parts in your hands it is very easy to understand.
MfG, Arvid, Niederlande.
Suffering severely from the N+1 virus. N is currently 7, including a NX250
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

An update about the restoration,

Good thing, I’ve finished sandblasting the tank and swingarm (see pictures). The result isn’t like a professional but I hope sufficient to protect it from rust, once finished, for many years to come. Note to self, use better eye protection (ski mask) and a bigger compressor.

Correction: the tank was mostly done by hand once a friend took the dent out (black spot in the middle).

Bad thing(s). I tried to get the muffler out but incountered some problems. First of all I can’t get the muffler free from the the rest of the exhaust pipe (see picture). I released the clam en tried pulling and turning but nothing works. Any ideas?

When I tried to unscrew the exhaust from the engine I broke on of the 2 bolts (picture). Too much force and too little WD40 I guess. I plea guilty on especially the first, I should know better. What can I do to free the remaining piece? I tried a ‘vise-grip’ but it just slides over the remaining thread of the bolt.

The exhaust itself is also rusted and there’s a hole/crack in about half the pipe. Can this be fixed? I have a replacement part so it’s no drama but it’s always nice/better to fix it instead have it thrown away.

Thanks for the help (it’s turning into a mantra, but a very true one. ;) )

Wout
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Fr Mai 14, 2021 10:32 am Bad thing(s). I tried to get the muffler out but incountered some problems. First of all I can’t get the muffler free from the the rest of the exhaust pipe (see picture). I released the clam en tried pulling and turning but nothing works. Any ideas?
More WD40 and some heat from a blowtorch
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Fr Mai 14, 2021 10:32 am When I tried to unscrew the exhaust from the engine I broke on of the 2 bolts (picture). Too much force and too little WD40 I guess. I plea guilty on especially the first, I should know better. What can I do to free the remaining piece? I tried a ‘vise-grip’ but it just slides over the remaining thread of the bolt.
The best method is to weld on a nut. The heat of the welding will loosen the thread.
Other methods will only work with a lot of heat too. So heat up the thread with a blowtorch. There are special stud extractors for cases like this but never tried them. The weld-on nut rules.
Wout1980 hat geschrieben: Fr Mai 14, 2021 10:32 amThe exhaust itself is also rusted and there’s a hole/crack in about half the pipe. Can this be fixed?
Pics? The manifold is pretty much beyond repair
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi everybody
Wout, here is what I can offer you (yes I finaly did it ! sorry for the delay)
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
If more pics are neede ask.
If you might do something with it ...

See you
Patrick
Wout1980

Beitrag von Wout1980 »

Patrick,

Looks great! Seems exactely what I need to restore the muffler to its original state.

Thanks for the help.

Greetings,

Wout
Antworten