Introducing!

Neu hier? Eine kurze Vorstellung wäre nett
Streamcruiser

Introducing!

Beitrag von Streamcruiser »

Well hello my fellow riders,
how nice to meet you.

There's a world of roads and trials to conquer and what do you know.. the NX250 is my chosen one to do so.
Am older BMW GS is my dream but since there's first lots of experience to be gained I wondered and explored the options and come to fall in love with the Nixxers..
When I was 12 years old my back then still free man father bought me a NSR50 to learn some of the ropes. One of the good things he did.. not that I could enjoy it for that long but it made me fall in love with riding.
I must admit when I saw the NX250 for the first time, nostalgia fluids started flowing right away and wow.. what a capable bike it seems.
Looking into the story's and experiences of others it presented itself as the perfect choice to travel with.
We, my wife and I have dreams of traveling where the road and trials lead us.
Must admit, we don't have our license yet but we are at 75% of getting it. I am an international truck driver driving Benelux-scandinavia., live in the Netherlands and as they may be, my 'doing' update posts come in a little less regularly then the 'talking and discussing' posts since I drive 5-6 days a week for my work. But hey, time is on our side and we can prepare ourselves for the big trip..
But I am not here without reason.. since two days I am now the proud owner of a NX250. To make it perfect and learn the ropes.. since I will have to buy another one and to gain experience in maintaining and upgrading it.
Aaannndd.. this one catched my eye especially because it has already an 17" rear wheel with even a disc break at the rear, 5cm longer spring at the rear. It's not the most mint conditioned of the lot but that'll be arranged in the future.
So, well... f**k.. the seller was a kind of honda collector, who has his own trial bike shop. Bladiebladiebla a lot. Had it from a lover and was honest about the state. It had a life before me and that's to be seen. The rear wheel upgrade made me feel good about it since I already feel that's quite the challenge to get by and my knowledge by now says that it's a good bike to invest time in, to get a trustworthy bike back.
Oh yeah, the f**k I was talking about.. the bike started quite nice at the seller, drove a little bit with it and it felt responsive. It had a little effort with warming up and while driving when I released the throttle it didn't really drop in immediately. I thought, that can't be something big.
So I've bought it, for €1450.
Drove it back home and yesterday wanted to start it, show to my wife our newest addition to the family and it didn't start..
There was a gasoline smell coming from the bike.
The seller explained fuel on, pump the throttle 5 times.. choke full on and let it start. But it didn't catch it's vibe..rather soon the battery was dead and I was grumpy. Sigh..
Well, I like to get to know this little vessel and that comes rushing to me haha.. so, battery om the charger and onwards.
My tools weren't at hand at the moment so I will be checking further in next weekend.
Like I said, a thing that I noticed was the gasoline smell.. looking at the carb I saw some sweat and wetness and even a drop of gasoline hanging under the carb.

I will let this be for now, time for pictures and a cup of coffee.
Looking forward to speaking you guys and widen the horizon of this forum.

-Mathias
20210619_164320.jpg
20210620_135151.jpg
20210620_134751.jpg
20210620_134654.jpg
20210620_134827.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Streamcruiser

Re: Introducing!

Carb
20210620_135031.jpg
Screenshot_20210621-063509_Gallery.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Streamcruiser

20210620_134631.jpg
20210620_134737.jpg
Garfield

Beitrag von Garfield »

Hi Mathias,

Welcome here from the Netherlands too !
Where in NL are you from ?
If you're near me in Amersfoort I am happy to take a look and help you along with your bike.

Was the petrol smell alreay present before you tried to start ? I would not be surprised if you simply flooded the bike. With the high temperatures that we had here up to yesterday I don't think you need to turn the gas lever that much. I'm not sure if you know what it does, but the NX250 has a nifty little feature: an accelerator pump. Every time you turn the handle quickly, it squirts a bit of fuel right into the inlet channel.
Our forum admin and NX250 guru scrambler has made a nice little video about starting this bike easily in very cold temperatures, it's on his Youtube channel (Michael Sperling).

I think that with the high temperatures we had activating the accelarator pump 5 times is just too much.

I would say: put the battery on a charger and once it is fully charged again, try to start with only the choke on and try it at first without turning the gas handle.
MfG, Arvid, Niederlande.
Suffering severely from the N+1 virus. N is currently 7, including a NX250
Streamcruiser

Arvid,

Bedankt voor je warme welkom!
I was already strolling through this forum for a little while and I must say that that I noticed a warm community around these bikes. Nice to see and looking forward to future meetings. Have there been tours?
And specifically for you, have you made some journeys with the nx?

You are probably right. I think we've sniffed it before the starting but in my enthusiasm.. I will let it vapour this whole week and try again this weekend.
My experience with wrenching goes as far as my tomos, which I love for years. So yes, lots of learning to be done but the base is there.
This week I'll do a lot of reading here and take a look into your posts!
We live in a village above Meppel. So it isn't far away but not really next door. It would be nice if we will meet someday one way or the other.
walli777

Beitrag von walli777 »

Thank you for your nice presentation and for the fotos.
I agree with Garfield. Start without using the gas lever, only with choke, and then turn the gas lever a little bit if you feel it's necessary.
Greetings from Oer-Erkenschwick (NRW)
Gruß, Karin
Streamcruiser

A warm enthousiast forum deserves a proper introduction!

The advise is noted.

Anybody recognises from which bike the rear wheel, hub comes from?
20210620_134713.jpg
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Welcome to the club,

great introduction, very much appreciated :) . Far too many guys take that forum for a free service hotline, where it’s not necessary to say hello first and a bit about oneself and the bike.

The main hints were already given by Arvid & Karin - next time try starting with a full battery and without pumping and most likely the NX will start immediately.

To figure out whether the carb is leaking just leave the petcock open – if you smell gasoline after a few minutes either the gasket of the float chamber or the float valve is leaking. Both can happen, after all, the rubbers are more than 30 years old by now.

The rear wheel comes from a NX650 Dominator (first generation - < 1994). It’s not an easy conversion viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1614. The conversions I have seen so far use the NX650 swing arm, in your case it looks like the NX250 swingarm was modified.
Something you should have an eye on is the rear brake line / brake cylinder. It looks like as if they are too close to the rear wheel / swing arm, but it's hard to tell from the pics.

Cheers, Michael
sauve qui peut
Streamcruiser

The guru has spoken. Your appearance has been noticed a lot. I had the feeling it may be flooded. I took the info from te seller a little bit to much for granted with his experience.
Will check up on it. The upcoming months I will be checking and repairing, build up knowledge.

Yeah, it doesn't have that much space between it. Although I haven't got that much stare time at it yet 😋
You say the brake cilinder as well?
Is it wise to verify this conversion if it is trustworthy enough?
Brake disc and pads are also up for maintenance..
I will make a in depth foto summary of all the pov's from the bike when I make a timeline topic.
Can I just make one big topic or do I have to make subs?

Looking at the ac and cold start adjuster I noticed I don't have any space between from the accelerator adjuster?
Can this cause that the throttle keeps hanging a little bit?
Screenshot_20210621-182929_Gallery.jpg
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Di Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am You say the brake cilinder as well?
On the pic download/file.php?id=10634&mode=view it looks like as if the brake cylinder is scratching at the swing arm, but might be something else.
Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Di Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am Can I just make one big topic or do I have to make subs?
Your own restauration thread would be neat … in case of special questions please refer to the respective threads.
Streamcruiser hat geschrieben: Di Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am Looking at the ac and cold start adjuster I noticed I don't have any space between from the accelerator adjuster?
Can this cause that the throttle keeps hanging a little bit?
I dunno, but rather not. You can widen the gap at the upper arm of the ac pump a bit without removing the carb.
bepu_Mutter_NX250_2.jpg
sauve qui peut
Antworten