Powder coating the swingarm?

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
hhgfnx

Powder coating the swingarm?

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Hi,

I got the main frame sandblasted and powder coated, it became quite decent:
IMG_6751.jpg
Still, the workshop did not protect is too well so I had to spend few hours to undo the paint from the steering bearing base as some had gotten through the adhesive tape. Not nice, but now it's done, though.

However, I didn't get the swingarm painted yet. The reason being that I did not know how to remove the inner bearings, that seems to require some kind of special tools from Honda. Don't have that, and I was uncertain if the bearing or their casing (plastic?) can endure the heat that gets applied as a part of coating process, if I just would leave the bearing attached. Any knowledge or experience from this?

I am planning to wet paint the swingarm if there is any risk of damaging the bearings.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: powder coating NX250 swingarm?

Beitrag von scrambler »

I would go with a wet paint, sandblasting is too dangerous.

Replacing the needle bearings is not possible without a workshop press and suitable pressure pieces. If the (new) needle bearings are damaged when being pushed in, the long inner collar will quickly become seized. The same happens if fine blasting dust gets into the bearing. And this collar is sold out https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250-domin ... _2100.html .

Therefore, some preliminary work is necessary for powder coating. The most important thing: the bearings and the inner tube must be degreased meticulously. Otherwise the grease will run out during heating and ruin the coating. In addition, the degreased bearings are easier to clean from blasting dust because the fine dust somehow always finds a way inside

Bild

After cleaning, the pipe is closed as tightly as possible. Of course, the whole thing is of no use if the coater removes the cap before blasting despite the threat of hellish punishment :roll: A good (i.e. not too thick) powder coating does not cover scratches; depending on the requirements of the finish, scratches can be sanded out beforehand.

Bild

Since Honda NH146M accurate silver is not a RAL color scheme the old paint served as a guide for the coater. And luckily: a comparison with a very well-preserved NX250 swingarm shows that the color Star Silver Satin is practically identical - but I can't guarantee that it will work as well with other coaters.

Bild
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Re: Powder coating NX250 swingarm?

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Thanks! Yes, I guess the wet painting would do here.

I didn’t even match the frame color code to original, I picked one in the workshop that looked close enough. Still better than rust and bruises :)

Just can’t find those Prolink stickers anywhere.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I had a few stickers reprinted back then. They are a bit darker than series, these metallic paints are difficult to reproduce. I could see if I still have a few

Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I still have a few NX250 swingarm decals left for €3 each. They are also available here in different colors https://www.rsm-stickers.de/Aufkleber/A ... r-set.html but I haven't tried them yet
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Re: Powder coating the swingarm?

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Great, I could buy couple from you. Let me try to send pm. Try, because I’ve had issues with those leaving my outbox.
Antworten