NX250 bolt broken on the engine - exhaust pipe

Open for English requests from all countries!
marcus

NX250 bolt broken on the engine - exhaust pipe

Beitrag von marcus »

Hi all,
While trying to remove the exhaust pipe from my NX250, I broke a bolt on the engine.
see attached photo
Now what can I do ?

Bild
Staubteufelchen

Re: NX250 bolt broken on the engine - exhaust pipe

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

You can weld on a nut and directly remove the rest of the bolt (the heat from welding should loosen the rest of the bolt).

Knock on wood!
marcus

Beitrag von marcus »

Thanks a lot !
Very good idea
;)
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Perhaps it could be derived me first being active in another exhaust pipe discussion that this topic is now relevant to me... Do I need to tell more? :-)

OK telling: one of the two bolts came out after excessive use of rust-off spray and persuasion. Other one, actually the same upper one than with @marcus, did not. I've now used all the tools I have, even the ones dedicated for removing broken bolts, added with cold and heat but it-just-does-not-move! At all. The stub still above surface is also totally out of shape now, no more round.

Based on the rounded shape of the nut (that part that is now on my table) someone before me had tried to open it but gave up. I don't have welding machine, though, but try to get help from my neighbor who has, basically exactly with the idea shared by @Staubteufelchen. Let's see, getting desperate after days of trying, I've basically run out of options.

I suspect this bolt hasn't been removed in 35 years.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Difficult. What could also work - you take a suitable Torx nut , get hot with the blowtorch and hit it on the rounded nut. After cooling, the aluminum around the bolt is heated. Then it should work, at least in theory.

Bild
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

That is a good idea, thanks! I need to check if I've got such available somewhere, I may only have normal nuts (they didn't take proper grip when I tried them before).

I've agreed to get some welding support from my neighbor on Sunday but would be happy to get this out before that! Last resort is then to take this to some machinery but I wouldn't like to do that, as it requires me to replace all the gasgets etc. which I don't want to do by default.
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

You could also grind away one side of the nut and directly try to remove the nut afterwards (now the tension on the thread should be less).

Good luck!
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Seems that the heat shock associated with the welding did the trick for the rust. After that the bolt came out with hammer driver-drill. What a relief!

Thanks for the advices also, I am sure there's next bolt in there just waiting for these to be useful.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I'm glad it worked. Use new nuts with ceramic paste or even better: nuts made of brass https://www.classicbike-raisch.de/en/tr ... clamp-nuts

Bild
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Cool! Do those exact nuts (which seem to be intended for Triumph) also work with the standard 8mm bolt, with NX250?
Antworten