NX250 Restoration

Open for English requests from all countries!
daleipi

Re: NX250 Restoration

Beitrag von daleipi »

Yeah, THAT picture really SUCKS!

ugly as hell :D

I've been on that Coast in 1990 on my first trip to the US. I drove a brand new Ford Probe rental down the coast from Seattle to SF, went inland from there. back to the coast to LA to shop for VW beetle parts. onwards to the National Champoinship Air Race in Sparks https://airrace.org/ and back up.
clemkevin

Beitrag von clemkevin »

Living here is a blessing. Unfortunately, our county chose to favor large businesses in the cannabis industry when policy was written after legalization a few years back. This has led to most families leaving the area due to the challenge of trying to grow in competition with huge mega grows. Families that could survive on 50-100 plants a year now need to have 4-10 greenhouses with hundreds or thousands of plants just to break even in the market. It also didn't help that a fellow teacher who wanted to spite our boss opened a charter school and siphoned some of the remaining kids from our school, leading to a reduction in funding from the state. I chose to be the one who got cut to keep from any drama. Moving to Oregon in the next month or two.

I'll miss ripping around on these awful, bumpy, sketchy roads.
clemkevin

Beitrag von clemkevin »

Yeah, the NX125 kickstand is definitely an improvement without having to modify anything. The bike is about setup, other than checking sag and tweaking from there, and cleaning out the carb one last time.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

clemkevin hat geschrieben: Di Jun 27, 2023 11:52 pm Yeah, the NX125 kickstand is definitely an improvement without having to modify anything. The bike is about setup, other than checking sag and tweaking from there, and cleaning out the carb one last time.
cool find. The NX125 is very rare around here, but I'll keep an eye out for the NX125 kick stand. Apparently there are two versions, the one without a kick stand switch should fit. The 5.10-17 really is a mighty balloon tire. A 4.60-17 or 110/90-17 is closer to the 16'' tire.
sauve qui peut
daleipi

Beitrag von daleipi »

clemkevin hat geschrieben: Di Jun 27, 2023 8:16 pm ..I chose to be the one who got cut to keep from any drama. Moving to Oregon in the next month or two.
All the best for your future endeavors!

In the south of Oregon are these big sand dunes. I got letctured there by a cop for ignoring a stop sign - half coverd in sand and no road to be seen anywhere. travelling in the Australian Outback years later I had to think of this incident when if found a warning sign stating that speed limits are enforced in NSW. on a dirt track in the middle of nowhere. must have a picture somewhere..
clemkevin

Beitrag von clemkevin »

So, I made some suspension setting changes today that really improved the way the bike feels.

I had initially installed a set of CRF230 springs in the forks, but found them to be a bit too harsh. I had a set of XT350 forks laying around and removed the springs from them. They were about 1mm narrower than the CRF230 springs, which were about 2mm narrower than the stock NX250 springs. I figured it should be fine throwing them in there.

I also changed the settings on the GSF600 shock to preload level 2 (I had it at 4), and the clicker at number 4/4 (I had it at 2/4).

The bike really smoothed out. I'm quite happy with it. Maybe not single-track ready, but definitely blasts across a hay field really smooth.

I also ordered a tire for the 16" rim to see if my girlfriend had an easier time on the bike (versus the 5.10x17 tire on the rear). I'm gonna run the carb through an ultrasonic cleaner this week, but once it's back in I'll have her give it a try. What I'm wondering, though, is if the lighter 16" wheel is making it easier for the shock to dampen the rear end with so much weight being removed.

I think next week I'm going to take it on some 1-3 day trips in my area. I've got three national forests within 2 hours of me with thousands of miles of back roads. I'm moving away from the area soon and feel I owe it to myself to check it out. I'll share some photos here.
clemkevin

Beitrag von clemkevin »

Sent the carb through an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not sure it made a huge difference based on feel, but the cleaning solution was BROWN. The bike feels so good now, I really love it. I think I definitely like the 17" rear more than the 16". But boy am I really loving this bike.

Next week I'm gonna do some riding in the local national forests and I'll post some pictures. I'm a little concerned about my rear Wolfman luggage, which connects to both sides of the rear fender. I think the clips are going to destroy the brittle plastic fender. I might give it a shot and try the luggage, as I was already considering buying an XR80 rear fender to put on the NX250. We'll see how it goes.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

glad to hear that your NX250 is running again. A cleaning of an 30 year old carb can work wonders :D . The rear fender is far too weak for off-road use, for something like that I bold on an unbreakable Acerbis license plate holder with rear light (https://www.ebay.de/itm/234547999964?ha ... BMgoqJqaxi DOT approved - if thats an issue in your area)

Bild
sauve qui peut
clemkevin

Beitrag von clemkevin »

Scrambler, I think I asked before, but what is that rear fender from? I like the look.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I took a mold from the fender and laminated one with glass fiber epoxy viewtopic.php?t=242&hilit=schutzblech. But it's far too much work, we need someone who can scan the fender for 3D printing.
NX250 Schutzblech rohling.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Antworten