Chain Slipper / Kettenschuh?

Open for English requests from all countries!
jonathan

Chain Slipper / Kettenschuh?

Beitrag von jonathan »

While the country is in lock down, I've made a start on the AX1 restoration. While cleaning up and removing parts from the frame I noticed the chain Slipper is cracked. It's made from some sort of durable plastic but I guess age has taken its toll. the part number is 52155 KW3 000, but it's listed everywhere as no longer available... :(

Does anyone know of a good source or an alternative part that can be made to fit? Otherwise, I'll be taking my chances with a used mail order part or carving one out of nylon or similar. Don't want to run the bike without as the chain will probably chew through the frame. Aside from this piece all other components seem to be in good serviceable condition :D

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda- ... 22/2/19632

Part number 12
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: lower chain slider NX250

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Mär 25, 2020 6:13 pm While the country is in lock down, I've made a start on the AX1 restoration. While cleaning up and removing parts from the frame I noticed the chain Slipper is cracked. It's made from some sort of durable plastic but I guess age has taken its toll. the part number is 52155 KW3 000, but it's listed everywhere as no longer available... :(

Does anyone know of a good source or an alternative part that can be made to fit?
Not that I know of. The lower slider usually wears out very slowly. I changed mine at 105.00km, but it still would have been good for many more kilometres. I can offer you a used slider in good condition. Need anything else ;) ?
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Re: lower chain slider NX250

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hi Scrambler....if you have one spare that would be great. I'll send you a private message re cost, postage etc. :D

As you say, the slider isn't really worn, apart from a couple of small chain grooves.....the actual piece is split in several places and as I was degreasing it, small chunks just fell off :o It's almost like brittle Bakelite!

2020-03-26 20.03.23.jpg
hard to see from my crap phone pic but it's cracked all the way through...

2020-03-26 20.04.56.jpg
she's looking a bit sorry for herself at the moment, but parts are cleaning up well
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: frame chain slider NX250

Beitrag von scrambler »

good news from the chain slider front - someone from the forum (cudos to NXler) scanned the slider and made a few prototypes with 3D printing. They will be tested over the next few weeks to see whether the material (nylon) is suitable. The necessary information is then made available for everyone to print out :D .

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

Hi Jonathan,
if you don't mind a DIY-Job, you could use a kitchen cutting-board, cut in the pieces of your needed size, (multiple slices pinned and glued together) and bring in form with a grinder.
Good luck, Andreas
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Good news indeed! Got to love 3D printing technology, I imagine it would need to be printed in some seriously tough nylon. Thanks to NXler for taking the time. 8-) Any chance you could print me a 3D Scarlet Johannson?

Best excuse for riding your bike when you should be doing work...."But I have to go out, I'm testing prototype parts"
I was reading an article about 3D printing in titanium :shock: We're not too far away from a Star Trek replicator :lol: Appatrently, most Nuclear submarines have 3D metal printers so they can make certain spares on the go. I met a retired Naval engineer who was giving demonstrations of the new design technology in schools. He told me he had to 'print' a spanner with a really unusual shape in order to access one particular fastener that couldn't be reached with normal tools...clever chaps these engineers. ;)

Staubteufelchen...Thanks for the tip. I put my old slider back on for the time being but at some point I will probably need to replace it. The nylon cutting board is a good idea. You can actually buy little blocks of engineering nylon online, which may be another option. It's one of those parts that looks relatively simple to make but is quite involved when you start looking closely.

I may be looking at fitting a sprung chain tensioner, depending on how the new rim/tyre and larger sprocket work out. I've gone up a few teeth on the rear to account for a bigger rear wheel and obviously the chain needs to be longer. It may work out well or it may mean that the spindle needs to right at the back of the adjustment slots in the swingarm. If so, I'll have no scope for adjusting chain slack as it stretches, hence the tensioner. Remains to be seen...
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Fr Aug 21, 2020 12:59 am Good news indeed! Got to love 3D printing technology, I imagine it would need to be printed in some seriously tough nylon. Thanks to NXler for taking the time. 8-) Any chance you could print me a 3D Scarlet Johannson?

Best excuse for riding your bike when you should be doing work...."But I have to go out, I'm testing prototype parts"
dang, you got me there - my wife is wondering why I keep putting on new tires all the time :)

Since the NiXie meeting was just around the corner I was able to test the nylon grinder for almost 1000km - including a few hundred km of full throttle on the Autobahn :D

After that, only the tip of the slider has very delicate and barely noticeable grinding marks. I have no experience with the grinding pattern of the frame chain slider - but based on the tests with the swingarm chain slider , the nylon material should last a very long time.

The running noises were also not noticeably louder, so the material used seems to be very suitable.

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

looks like a job well done :D On my odometer (speedo) I'm reading just over 9000. Whether this is correct or not I can't say, but assuming it is, then the wear on my original slider is about 2mm depth in the same place as in the pic. So the next question is: are you thinking to have a few made up or is NXler happy to share the file and the nylon spec? Either way, I'll be more than happy to make a contribution (cash or otherwise) since the part is no longer available.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Infos from Nxler:
Here is the link to the print files from the chain slider ("Kettgleiter V1.stl") and from the gear wheel speedometer drive.

https://www.magentacloud.de/share/eyx.yk-3zo

It was printed on an Ender 3D printer with a filament made of nylon 1.75 mm with a print bed made of FR4 and adhesion improver.
Bed temperature 70 °
Extruder temperature 260 °

A profile for the printer for the free "ideaMaker" software can also be obtained from the link.
Modell.JPG
P1030777.jpg
I still have one big request.

No questions like:

Can you get me a print?

or

What does a part cost?

I stand for self-help. There are now hundreds of these types of printers and there are also freaks with know-how.

have fun.

I'll ask around in the forum whether someone else has access to a suitable 3D printer so that we can make a few more for testing.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Thanks for this. I'll see what I can do over here. I think there is someone on the VW camper (Bulli in Deutschland) forum who does this for a living. May be able to get a few done as 'samples'...

come to think of it, an old friend if mine works for Jaguar Landrover as a product design manager....He must know someone who will be able to knock some out. I'll give him an email
Antworten