Rear suspension connecting rod bolt

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
hhgfnx

Rear suspension connecting rod bolt

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

There's always another bolt so life does not get boring. Now that I've got no more issue with exhaust manifold bolt, I have the next one with the bolt that connects the rear suspension connecting rod to the swingarm. Trying to attach an image, let's see it if works:

bolt.jpeg

The funny thing is that this bolt rotates and I have already removed the nut (it is yet in its place in the picture), but it seems that bearing collar and bolt have become one, rusted together. I have already used some considerable amount of force with hammer etc to get this bolt out but no it does not move. I am afraid to hit it even more, not to break something. In addition, enough rust removal has been spent. I suspect the bolt is bended (not because of hammering, it was like this before I tried) as it seems that the rod is moving backward and forward a bit as I rotate the bolt. Somebody jumped the bike perhaps?

Anyway, does someone have some idea how to get this bolt away? I would need a mechanism to push it out, but I've got no tools for that. Some slow screw-turning mechanism might be effective, if only I would know which one. I left the whole thing overnight in rust removal bath, hoping that dust seal would let even little bit of oil inside the collar and bolt.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: Rear suspension connecting rod bolt NX250

Beitrag von scrambler »

hhgfnx hat geschrieben: So Dez 03, 2023 9:34 pm The funny thing is that this bolt rotates and I have already removed the nut (it is yet in its place in the picture), but it seems that bearing collar and bolt have become one, rusted together.

A very common issue. The bold actually rusts on the bushing collar, brute force usually does not help. Thats why used swingarms often come with the linkage still attached https://www.ebay.de/itm/266018861150?ha ... R773p7eGYw. For this reason, I disassemble the linkages every time I change the chainset and lubricate everything with salt water grease viewtopic.php?t=2636.

Bild

Bild

It the bolt won't move there is no easy way out. First cut off the excess length of the bolt on the right, with a lot of luck the rust will loosen due to the heat and you can knock the rest of the bolt out. In most cases it is still stuck, then the only thing that helps is to push the linkage to the side and flex the collar/bolt with a very thin cutting disk. Turn the bolt 180°, then cut the remainung bolt. Then push the linkage to the other side and cut through the collar there as well. Of course, you will then need a new collar/bolt, these are no longer available new. I could help out with parts if required.
NX250 swingarm.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Re: Rear suspension connecting rod bolt

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Thanks for the good answer, once again. Ok this sounds serious even though it helps a bit knowing I am not alone with this.

I am wondering, if I could borrow induction heater from somewhere would it be worth trying before going for cutting? I have never used one so not sure how effective they are.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I tried it with a blowtorch and it still couldn't be removed. You just can't get to the collar with the heat, it just heats up the linkage. But don't worry, the cutting disc works without damaging the swing arm, you just need a thin (1,6mm) and small (11cm) disc.
NX250 swingarm linkage_1.jpg
NX250 swingarm linkage_2.jpg
sauve qui peut
Staubteufelchen

Beitrag von Staubteufelchen »

If you can drill a hole into the Bolt, you can heat up Bolt and bushing collar afterwards, with the heat torch, by heating up through this hole. After that, use some ice-spray inside the hole to shock-cool the bolt, without really cooling down the bushing collar. The idea behind this method is, to cool-shrink the bolt, so that it will become loose inside the bushing collar. I hope you get the picture!
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Thanks scrambler and Staubteufelchen for your support and advices. I haven't yet decided which way to go, I'm letting it soak for a while and see if this does anything, probably does not as it's so bad. And sure enough seems to be common issue like you scrambler said before, based on discussion on some other forums!

I got the idea Staubteufelchen, thanks. This is one possible option as I am less afraid of cutting/drilling the mere bolt than through the collar, close to swingarm itself. Shaky hands ;)
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Finally dared to do the cutting and managed to ensure proper spare parts. Had a little bit of bad luck as disc touched the swingarm just a bit, but nothing much. Could not measure any difference in thickness so should be no issue, and I will get the frame and swingarm painted so this minor cosmetic failure will disappear.
Antworten