NX250 bolt broken on the engine - exhaust pipe

Open for English requests from all countries!
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 bolt broken on the engine - exhaust pipe

Beitrag von scrambler »

Yes, the new Triumphs are metric like our Hondas. The thread of the brass nuts is M8x1.25 like the stud bolts
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Thanks scrambler for great advices!
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

I have been looking for new stud bolts, as I only got one that is still ok. Seems originals are nowhere to be found, does anyone happen to know if there are some non-OEM equivalent available somewhere, or do I just need to make one myself from threaded bar?
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

hhgfnx hat geschrieben: Do Nov 16, 2023 11:03 pm I have been looking for new stud bolts, as I only got one that is still ok. Seems originals are nowhere to be found, does anyone happen to know if there are some non-OEM equivalent available somewhere, or do I just need to make one myself from threaded bar?

Stud bolts M8x1.25 are standard and come in many variants (some reading viewtopic.php?p=15578#p15578 ).

Bild

I would take high-strength ones that are copper-plated. I didn't find it in 41mm length, but in 40 or 44mm https://www.ebay.de/itm/154938751744?ha ... R7jAtr37Yg. But you should still use ceramic paste http://nx650.nx250.de/albums/userpics/1 ... olzen2.jpg.
NX250 high-strength copper stud bolts.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

If I haven’t said this forum is golden I’m saying that now.. thanks!

If buying those Triumph capped brass bolts, which of these two lengths would be better? Will 44mm be too long?

With open ended nuts it doesn’t matter I guess.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Since the brass nuts are a few mm longer, this should work with the 44mm stud bolts. But no guarantee, not tried yet ;)
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Ok, 40mm on safe side then perhaps 😊

Someone asked me if I considered the electrochemical pair if installing brass nuts, and copper bolts. Well, no I didn’t! Aluminum is even “lower” that steel isn’t it, but still the aluminum block is not corroding away usually. But not sure what to think of it.

I would have thought that anything to do with bolts and nuts would be dead simple! Don’t feel that currently.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

hhgfnx hat geschrieben: Fr Nov 17, 2023 11:12 am I would have thought that anything to do with bolts and nuts would be dead simple! Don’t feel that currently.
Since a ripped of bolt causes quite a bit of trouble viewtopic.php?p=29285#p29285 ;) , it's worth giving it a little thought. The copper bolts come from automobile manufacturing, so I think that's ok. The ceramic paste prevents salt water from penetrating, so not much can happen. You can also use zinc plated bolts, with at least strength 8.8.

Interesting fun fact - the stainless steel manifolds of the AX1 have a neck made of normal steel. Probably because stainless steel also has a corrosive effect on aluminum. By the way, the original manifold gasket is also made of copper https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250-domin ... 291254000/

Bild
sauve qui peut
hhgfnx

Beitrag von hhgfnx »

Yes, me fighting one week with that broken bolt made me think this carefully :D

But as you say probably applying paste already saves from much trouble, no matter what material the bolt is. I'll get few stainless steel ones that probably are of right size, but I might still buy couple made of normal steel or copper, and use those.
Antworten