Suspension and others

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
Pinto

Suspension and others

Beitrag von Pinto »

Hello everyone!
I have recently acquired a Honda NX 250 (MD21) NH196, registered in 08/1992. I’m very happy with it! It’s a cool looking, light, strong and easy to ride motorcycle.
I want to keep it for a long time and maintain it properly, and I’m new in this world, so I’m here searching for advice.
I’m from Portugal, so pardon my English (or German) if I make any mistakes!
The moto needs some care so I have made a list in order of priorities of what is necessary:
1. Suspension (rear and front to soft)
2. Chain slider (needs new)
3. Bar assy side stand (loose)
4. Seat (loose)
5. Interior panels (both broke)
6. Front fender (possibility to change for a high)

So suspension. Right now it’s all original and it’s look’s very soft. I don’t know if it’s normal or if the suspension is recked. I’m thinking of improving the rear shock. I have seen other posts in this forum and YSS rear shock came up. Is it good? It’s the best? To hard? Are there more options?
On the front forks, I’m just thinking of changing the oil and o-rings and keep them original. Are there kits for this?

I want to use the moto for everything, as in city and trail (not jumps!), so I don’t want it to be a hard suspension. So should I keep everything original or it is still to soft? What do you fellas recommend?

Since I’m from Portugal, you fellas can imagine I’m no abundant in money :lol: , so if possible to give me some options, not only the best more expensive, but also cheaper options that are good enough, I appreciate.
Thank you very much!
Pinto
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 suspension and others

Beitrag von scrambler »

Hello Pinto,

welcome to the club. We already have a few guys from Portugal here, e.g. Paulo, who has many used parts for the NX250. He also makes new NX250 chain sliders viewtopic.php?p=22439#p22439.

The YSS shock is decent but not great. But way better than the original shock. A shock from a bandit 600 is at least as good, but needs to be modified viewtopic.php?p=4213#p4213

Changing the oil of the fork is enough I guess; I would only change the seals if something is leaking. The first rule of repairing is

if it ain't broken, don't fix it ;)

If the fork is too soft for you, you can replace the short upper springs with spacers viewtopic.php?t=1668

As for the fairing - there is an inexpensive method for repair viewtopic.php?t=2900

Then have fun in the forum and if you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask, preferably in the appropriate thread.

ps. I'll move this thread to the international section viewforum.php?f=20 .

Bild
sauve qui peut
Pinto

Beitrag von Pinto »

Scrambler thank you very much for the advices!
You are very right, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This also saves money and more time to ride ;)
Bild
I have seen the chain sliders from Paulo online, but it's good to know he also sells used parts.
About the shock i'm leaning for the YSS, since it is made to fit and new, but i will analise when i install the new chain slider and them make the decision of changing it or not.

About the slipper chain (52155KW3000)... where does that fit?? i'm sorry for the question, but this is new to me :lol:

Bild

About the forks, replacing the short upper spring with spacers (maybe 5 or 6cm? for me since i'm light - 62kg) is a great ideia.

I'll deal with the fairings later, my priority is mechanics.

Thank's again and happy rides!
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

About the shock i'm leaning for the YSS, since it is made to fit and new, but i will analise when i install the new chain slider and them make the decision of changing it or not.
The YSS is a good solution, it only disappoints on the moto cross track. You just have to be careful that you buy the YSS with the 16mm rod MZ366-320 even though it is a bit more expensive https://www.elbmoto.de/Federbein-Mono-Y ... 0TRL-10-JX
NX250 yss shock.png
About the slipper chain (52155KW3000)... where does that fit??
It's a small slider attached to the frame under the swing arm – see viewtopic.php?t=1762
You don't have to remove it to check it, just remove the sprocket cover. You can also take this opportunity to make another important check - whether the sprocket is attached on correctly. Unfortunately, some aftermarket sprockets are made incorrectly, which can cause the sprocket to slip off the shaft viewtopic.php?t=377
About the forks, replacing the short upper spring with spacers (maybe 5 or 6cm? for me since i'm light - 62kg)
I think the spacers should be at least as long as the short springs, i.e. 7cm. Together with the preload adjusters this should be ok for your weight. https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Pair-37mm-CNC ... Swj61cg3c7
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Antworten