Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
jonathan

Re: Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hi Scrambler....they do this one in Sri Lanka....probably the same company as the 'chinese' versions

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAIN-SLIDER ... Sw4cFd~41Z

Also, I have a pair of Ricor 'intiminators' for the transalp forks, going spare. They are drop-in 'cartridge emulators', essentially blow off valves, with adjustable shim stacks. you need to shorten the original spring spacers to account for the additional height of the valves. PM me if you're interested.

https://store.ricorshocks.com/product_p ... 1tralp.htm

can't say they made a huge difference but they did help with fork dive, but I think you won't have so much of a problem on a much lighter bike. the TA is a heavy old V twin... :lol:
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Thanks for the info, looks interesting. I don’t think it will be necessary though – the Transalp fork is a bit too soft for its 200kg but should be perfect for the 134kg of the NX250.

In the meantime I’m struggling with the wiring, so there’s not much new to see. To the left, the NX250 bracket won’t fit the XL250 degree tank shroud.

Bild

Luckily I found a XL250 degree bracket in my barn (that’s where I find most parts) and it turned out that I only had to drill a new hole and shorten it a bit.

Bild

Fits perfect - hurray for Honda’s modular system

Bild

Bild

And I finally made up my mind about the wheel sizes. 16/19’’ would have been better for lower seat height and I like the unique look of the small wheels. But since the KTM wheel has a 18’’ rim and the new Bridgestone Adventurecross 120/90-16 is still not available I went for 18/21’’.

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

some good work going on there Scrambler....sounds like your barn is the place to be :D
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Sa Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm sounds like your barn is the place to be :D
I`ve been collecting NX250 /AX1 / XL Degree parts for decades now and dumped them in the barn. Some of the parts I already forgot that I have them - so every time I search through the barn I find something surprising :) - like the Degree bracket.

One issue that was on my agenda for a long time is adapting a NX650 light switch to the NX250. The latter is Hondas street line with integrated choke. And it is this very choke that gives a lot of trouble. If the choke cable isn’t aligned correctly it will rip out of the switch.

Bild

So good handlebar switches are really hard to find and thus expensive. That’s why I had the idea of using the more robust enduro line switches from NX650, Transalp, Africa Twin or XL250 Degree. I could not get the latter, but there are lots of NX650 ones available. It has a light off / parking light switch - at least the EU versions.

Bild

The neat thing about the NX650 switch is that it has almost identical cable colours as the NX250 harness - which makes wiring a lot easier.

Bild

The left side of the NX250 frame is very cramped with the wiring, so one of my goals was to minimize that. So in order to avoid cable running from the switch to the frame and then back to the headlight / tachymeter I added a tabbing to the NX650 switch harness. From there the wires go directly to the headlight/ tachymeter. I also inserted cables for the rev counter (black/yellow) and idle light (light green/red), so that there is only a single harness necessary on the left side.

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

XLV600 Transalp has a choke lever on the left hand control...easy to find in UK and Deutschland...it's on the top of the housing and pulls back with an index finger. Bear it in mind for your next honda hybrid project :lol:

Here's neat idea from the push bike (bicycle) world...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/magura-co ... ables.html
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Jan 29, 2020 11:06 pm XLV600 Transalp has a choke lever on the left hand control...easy to find in UK and Deutschland...it's on the top of the housing and pulls back with an index finger. Bear it in mind for your next honda hybrid project :lol:
I was actually hoping that I could use the Transalp/NX650 choke lever for my recent project ;) – but it turned out that the way of travel of that mechanism is too short for the NX250 choke. So I will adapt an old style choke cable with a knob, from a XL250 or the like. But all I can find are aftermarket parts that are way too long (ca 94cm) – and I need a total length of approx. 72cm.

Bild

Bild

Since the light is now managed from the NX650 switch to the left I might use a NX650 switch to the right. But it turned out that this switch needs some rewiring of its harness – so I took one from the Transalp (from 1994 onward).

Bild

It has identical cable colours as the NX250 harness – again, easier wiring.

Bild

Re-wring of the handlebar switches done, the headlight / tachometer still to go. Hmm, I'm not fully satisfied with the position of one of the superseal connectors. It should be below the throttle cables, but the switch harness was not long enough.

Bild
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi there,
I've been looking at your great work and was wondering where to find the rubber nut (1).
Screw&bolt.jpg
Honda's ref is 64528-KV3-000. I found them on honda's official bike parts and even on ebay but they are expensive.

As far as I know, screws (2) are special M5 (ref 90109-KW3-000) and I have same problem as bolts (expensive !)

So I would like to know, Michael, where you find them and how much they cost.

Thanks a lot

Patrick
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Mi Feb 05, 2020 9:29 am was wondering where to find the rubber nut (1).
Screw&bolt.jpg
Honda's ref is 64528-KV3-000. I found them on honda's official bike parts and even on ebay but they are expensive.

As far as I know, screws (2) are special M5 (ref 90109-KW3-000) and I have same problem as bolts (expensive !)
Hi,
you get the M5 rubber nuts from ebay, don't know whats the term in french? https://www.ebay.fr/itm/10-Gummimuttern ... 2919627982
As for the special M5 screws (ref 90109-KW3-000) I haven't found any cheaper aftermarket parts .
Cheers, Michael
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

dang, I just ran into a snag :shock: It turned out that the rear AX1 caliper is missing that little piece of sheet metal that holds the brake pads. I have a spare caliper, but its missing that retainer, too. On the pic is the retainer of my AX1, but I need a second one for this build. Problem is, that retainer is out of stock https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250-ax-1- ... kQFtEp7nTc and was used in only very few modells. And none of which were officially imported to Europe, so used parts are hard to find. And even if I find another calliper, there is no guarantee that this time the retainer is included.

Bild
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi Mickaël,
This part was also used on the 1989 250 CRM sold in UK
(see here : https://www.bike-parts.fr/honda-moto/af ... 3111KW3006)
So you may find it in UK

And maybe it's your lucky day :
https://www.fitinpart.sg/index.php?rout ... d=10372253
It is written "avail" hope this is for available...
They ship to france so I wonder they will do to germany as well.
If not then I can order it for you then send it to you ...

And here from Japan :
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-43111kw ... 83sUfU18kA

hope this helps
Patrick
Antworten