Honda AX-1 transformation to XL250 Degree

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
Crazy Horse

Honda AX-1 transformation to XL250 Degree

Beitrag von Crazy Horse »

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to transform my AX-1
(love it, hate the looks...) into an XL250,
as you can see problems appeared instantly, as the fuel tank does not fit...

Any ideas ??

Probably Scrambler66 has faced the same with
his KTNixie, you still need a XL tank to use
its radiator guards, right ?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
boomerang
Wohnort: Schimmert, 10km von Aachen in die Niederlände herein

Re: Honda AX-1 transformation to XL250 Degree

Beitrag von boomerang »

Are you sure the tank is mounted correctly on the rubber disks at the front?

What are you going to do with the wheels; keeping the casted ones or a set of 21/17" spoked? Seems like the rear disk brake would be a challenge with spokes unless using a wheel from another model bike.
Bin wieder dabei! Bevor jellycow, jetzt boomerang, aber immer einfach Clement :-)
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Mounting an XL250 degree gas tank on a AX1 or NX250 actually does require some modification. First, the rear tank holder on the frame has to be welded 1 cm backward

Bild

then the tank fits on the original front rubber holder. 1/2cm of the rear of the tank should be cut off - or the seat has to be modified

Bild

Once the gas tank fits you will notice that the upper fork bracket will touch the tank – so at these places the tank has to be dented a bit

Bild

The special M5 big head screws are out of stock. I use aluminium screws which are shortened to 5mm – if longer screws are used the welded on tank holder will be damaged

Bild

Now only two mods remain – you need to made to holders for the lower shroud screws and the AX1 seat has to be modified a bit. I’m going on a vacation for a week, if you haven’t figured out by then I’ll make more pics ;)

Bild
sauve qui peut
Crazy Horse

Beitrag von Crazy Horse »

Many thanks for the heads-up,
at the moment attempting to find a (willing and able) Engineer to assist me
with the cut & welding necessary.

As I see, you are not using the third (lower) bolt of the three, on the tank side flaps.

About the wheels, I have purchased a front fork and front wheel from a XL250 Degree,
which appears easier as a swap and a late XLR 250 rear wheel which appears trickier...

Thanks !!

PS: As soon as the work re-starts, will let you know. At this very moment, replacing
front and rear sprockets, chain while awaiting for new silent block for the bike/mermaid.
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Crazy Horse hat geschrieben: Di Sep 05, 2017 5:39 pmAs I see, you are not using the third (lower) bolt of the three, on the tank side flaps
right, I used angle made of alumium

Bild

and rubber nuts similar to the ones with the AX1 fairing is attached

Bild

Bild

Bild

as for the rear wheel, that's a toughy. Since the AX1 is lacking a decent cush-drive their swing-arm is too narrow to accomodate a NX650 rear wheel for example. An XRL250 rear wheel turned out to be too narrow - in the end I found that a KTM LC620/LC640 fits just fine except for the axle diameter (20mm vs 16mm of the AX1) - so you would have to produce new bushings viewtopic.php?f=11&t=276&start=20.
sauve qui peut
Antworten