Hi From Portugal and my “new” NX 250

Open for English requests from all countries!
Petrus

Hi From Portugal and my “new” NX 250

Beitrag von Petrus »

Hi everybody,

I’m one happier rider with a 94’ Honda NX 250 (titled in 95). It’s the 249 cc engine.

I bought it for a week-end bike and for holidays. I know it’s not a real dirt bike (for that I have a ktm exc 250) and I don’t plan to do long rides, It’s a little thumper for fun and commuter. :P

About the bike (bought it last week, so little experience) I have to admit that is a sweet nice bike: light, easy to ride, good ergo (the Honda way), excellent finish, comfortable, good torque, low seat (I’m small), decent brakes and certainly will be very economic to ride and maintain (I hope).
About minus points are the usual: suspensions too soft, don’t give you trust, namely on corners, power is ok but seems a little limited on throttle response (maybe exhaust responsibility too), no wind protection (not very important) ... 8-)

Bike has about 35.000 km (21500 miles). According to the previous owner the engine never was “touched”, except for adjusting vales, and no need to add oil between oil changes (about 3.000). The CDI is the original and I will try to find one for spare. Just in case… :oops:

Bike is not 100% stock but there are mods that I like, like the small turn signals or side panels protections. Will probably remove the rear case and buy an original exhaust system. That one is really ugly, but very quiet! Just for curiosity, tried to see top speed (not in autobahn, but who cares) and did 130. The previous owner was a slow rider. Will change oil and filter, air filter… and see if it can go a little longer. 90-100 km per hour it’s fine as normal speed.
Contacted a Honda dealer and they told me that they have a new one there! Problem is that they are asking 250 euros and saying that is a bargain cause it’s a leftover and retail price was about 400 euros, but it’s a remaining and blá, blá, blá… will search for a used one. NX was popular here and I believe that I can find someone that is just parting out a bike. :idea:

Rear tire (Bridgestone TW) is close to the end. Changing to a 17’’ wheel from a Honda XL will make the bike “better to ride” or is just a question of more tire choice? I can try to find a 17’’ wheel but I’m afraid that will not be easy. Honda XL sold little here and a new 16’’ it’s the easy way to go... btw, the bike has more than 20 years, and is under 250 cc, so, no need to be inspected (TUV or something), at least now!
:?
I will stop for now with my poor English. I believe that, no matter where you are, pictures are always nice, so I share a few from my little toy: :mrgreen:

Bild

Bild
nik

Re: Hi From Portugal and my “new” NX 250

Beitrag von nik »

Congratulations !!!
I've bought the same model last summer with approximately the same kilometer count.
I did not drive much because the bike is now under "restauration" and I hope to start next spring with an faily new bike ;)
So I wish you a lot of fun and many stressless kilometers with your "New Toy".

Best regards from Austria
nik
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Hi Petrus,

welcome to the board! That's a real beauty you got there - I wonder where it came from, since there was as far as I know no Portuguese Import. So it should be either

1993 Spain framenumber 0K400001 upto 0K499999
1993 Spain framenumber 0M300001 upto 0M300178
1993 European direct sales framenumber 5300003 upto 5301868

About the original mufflers - they are already out of stock for a couple of years and the last were sold for almost 600€ - so if you can get a new one for 250€ its really a bargain ;) . There is a problem with used mufflers - in many cases they are rusted through beyond repair under that fancy stainless steel cover download/file.php?id=544&mode=view. And the marving/MSR mufflers suck viewtopic.php?f=20&t=376.

The 17'' rear wheel won't improve the driveability - to the contrary, the NX will become less stable at higher speed. That's why I recommend the 17'' rear wheel only in combination with a shorter shock or a 21'' front wheel, to counteract the larger diameter. The only reason for a 17'' wheel is that there is only a very limited selection of tires available in 16''. But the bridgestones and dunlops are good for commuting and an occasionally gravel pad.

A new shocks on the other hand is no luxury but mandatory if you ask me - unless you like your NX to behave like a springbok - if you know what I mean :)
The YSS shock are affordable and fully adjustable, there are two versions that differ only in the shaft diameter (12 or 16mm download/file.php?id=2530&mode=view). With my 80kg I feel that the stock spring (100nm download/file.php?id=2531&t=1 is a bit to soft, the next time I will try the harder one (115nm).

Cheers, Michael
sauve qui peut
Petrus

Beitrag von Petrus »

Nik ad Scrambler,

Thank you so much for your replies. Very appreciated.

I will keep the 16'' real wheel and forget the 17''… and save some money!

About the exhaust I guess that I will buy it. Maybe as Christmas gift... for me! 600 euros is a fortune! 250 is a lot better! :lol:

About the rear suspension. It was “tuned” (other spring, they told me) and it works almost ok. Will consider to touch the front, at least another oil, but it’s not a priority!

As I said earlier. NX 250 sold well in our little country. Frame number is: MD21-54004…
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Petrus hat geschrieben: As I said earlier. NX 250 sold well in our little country. Frame number is: MD21-54004…
ok, I overlooked the "249" in your first post ;) . So you got one of the very rare MD21 that were build in 1993.
1993_MD21..jpg
Since its a MD21 you should check if the new muffler is a MD21 part (spare part number KW3) - the MD25 mufflers are even less louder and cut back a bit on the performance.
nx250 muffler stock.jpg
Bytheway - is there a portugese Ebay or something like this for buying NX250 parts ;) ?
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Petrus

Beitrag von Petrus »

scrambler hat geschrieben:
Petrus hat geschrieben: As I said earlier. NX 250 sold well in our little country. Frame number is: MD21-54004…
ok, I overlooked the "249" in your first post ;) . So you got one of the very rare MD21 that were build in 1993.

Since its a MD21 you should check if the new muffler is a MD21 part (spare part number KW3) - the MD25 mufflers are even less louder and cut back a bit on the performance.

Bytheway - is there a portugese Ebay or something like this for buying NX250 parts ;) ?
Wow! You are really a living encyclopedia on NX bikes! :o

We don't have a portuguese version for ebay. Most popular sites for buy and sale here are CustoJusto.pt or Olx.pt.

If you want me to try to find something on used parts here, just let me now. I will glad to help :roll:

About air filter the "modified" K&N (advrider suggestion) is the way to go or the best way is to buy original or from Hiflofilter (easier to find HFA1209)?

BTW, I need your opinion about the chain guide (see picture with red circle, please) is broken/partially missing. It's important to have it or not?

Thank you so much! :roll:

Bild
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Petrus hat geschrieben:
About air filter the "modified" K&N (advrider suggestion) is the way to go or the best way is to buy original or from Hiflofilter (easier to find HFA1209)?

BTW, I need your opinion about the chain guide (see picture with red circle, please) is broken/partially missing. It's important to have it or not?
The main advantage of the K&N (or the similar DNA) filter is that you can clean it - necessary when your bike hasn't got a well protected filter. See the pic above to the left? Under these conditions I had to clean the filter of my NX650 twice a day, whereas the NX250 needed that only every 2 or 3 days. Under normal conditions the filter lasts a very long time - the manual mentions changing every 18.000km.
The Hiflo filters got a bad fit, so I always use the OEM filters. And you can clean the OEM filter with gasoline (not the regular but "gasoline used for cleaning purposes" "Waschbenzin"), then its like new (better let the filter dry in the sun for an hour :) ) - and I don't know if the Hiflow filters are also gasoline resistant (most likely not).

But the first thing to do is a filter housing cleanout - Honda used some kind of foam that disintegrates sooner or later and clogs up the filter.
MD21_93_luftfilter.jpg
About the chain guide - I guess its only an element of style, since its open to the side and won't prevent the chain to jump off the sprocket. The AX1 hasn't got this guide - as long as the chain is well maintained you will be fine ;)

Bild
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Petrus

Beitrag von Petrus »

Many, many thanks!

I'm extremely happy with your support and patience to answer all my newbie questions! If you decide to visit Portugal... just let me now! :twisted:

I will follow your suggestion about air filter and buy OEM. About the foam, what you suggest? Put another? Simply remove it? Other option?

Regards
kalle

Beitrag von kalle »

Hello Petrus
Welcome
You have a nice motorbike there ;)
kalle
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Petrus hat geschrieben: I will follow your suggestion about air filter and buy OEM. About the foam, what you suggest? Put another? Simply remove it? Other option?
Remove it ;) Unless you do desert riding it's not really necessary. I was thinking of replacing the OEM foam (which is not available as a spare part anyway) with a piece of filter foam from the XT350 or the like http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIW-Air-Filter- ... ZK&vxp=mtr, but since deserts are scarce around here never came to it.
sauve qui peut
Antworten