Hi From Portugal and my “new” NX 250

Open for English requests from all countries!
Petrus

Re: Hi From Portugal and my “new” NX 250

Beitrag von Petrus »

Hi there,

Santa arrived and brought me some stuff to my NX, particular a “new” CDI! It was a bit expensive but now I have a spare. Tried it before bought and it worked just great! It’s a “updated” from Shindengen. :roll:
Bild
Hate to see someone parting out a bike, but… couldn’t resist!

At the same time did some checks and found a wire that was going to be ruined by the fan and relocated it!

Wish you all a happy new year!
:mrgreen:

Bild
Bild
walli777

Beitrag von walli777 »

Petrus hat geschrieben:
But the first thing to do is a filter housing cleanout - Honda used some kind of foam that disintegrates sooner or later and clogs up the filter.
What function does this foam have? Noise reduction?
Shall I remove it at my new NX, or try to replace?
Gruß, Karin
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Petrus hat geschrieben: Wish you all a happy new year!
Hi Petrus,
thanks, same to you ;)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
(Old Irish Blessing)

Cheers, Michael
sauve qui peut
Petrus

Beitrag von Petrus »

walli777 hat geschrieben:
Petrus hat geschrieben:
But the first thing to do is a filter housing cleanout - Honda used some kind of foam that disintegrates sooner or later and clogs up the filter.
What function does this foam have? Noise reduction?
Shall I remove it at my new NX, or try to replace?
I took scrambler suggestion and just removed it! It's totally useless :o

scrambler hat geschrieben:Hi Petrus,
thanks, same to you ;)
Thanks a lot Michael. Let's see what new year brings to us.

About the blessing... they are always welcome! :D
walli777

Beitrag von walli777 »

Thanx :D
Gruß, Karin
Petrus

Beitrag von Petrus »

Updating:

Very disappointed with my bike. :evil:

After a few more goodies (including a rear new tire and a “new” exhaust) I had a serious problem last Sunday. Only 2.000 kms after purchase (bike has about 36.500 km):

Yesterday, was riding with wife (means riding slow) and, suddenly, engine started to do a weird sound. It’s a strange metallic sound and happens even at low rpm, hot or cold engine… It’s not a valves sound. Forgot to do a video with the sound. My bad…

I don’t have much free time; bike is not here with me now but as soon as possible I will see if I find the problem.

I will see the oil filter searching for debris and metallic parts and, after that, remove the valve cover but I’m now preparing myself to buy a new cam tensioner and chain (hope they are easy to find). I don’t have much knowledge as a mechanic and I believe that the solution may be take the bike to an expert. Remove clutch, crankshaft output gear, oil pump may be too much for me… even if I find the right manual for the job…

After having many other bikes (last was a Portuguese Casal 125 that I did a top end rebuilt engine but that was very easy to work on 125 engines 2 strokes air cooled). It should be a supposed “bullet proof” HONDA to put me in troubles!

I’m doing some searches on the Internet, namely on ADV: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/n ... t-19027800 and maybe a I get lucky and solve the problem only by modifying the cam tensioner (tensioner fix) but I doubt. Now, I don’t even feel comfortable to ride it, even it starts perfect ant the engine keep running strong!

Will let you know when I can look to the bike… :oops:
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Hi Petrus,
sorry to hear that. That's rather unusual behavior for a NX250, but of course that statement won't help you - but don't worry, we will sort that out and I'll help with parts and advice. First: don't drive any further. If you haven't already done take of the cylinder head cover and check if the cam chain is loose. Then it's most likely the cam chain tensioner.
Heads up!
Michael
sauve qui peut
Petrus

Beitrag von Petrus »

Scrambler hat geschrieben:Hi Petrus,
sorry to hear that. That's rather unusual behavior for a NX250, but of course that statement won't help you - but don't worry, we will sort that out and I'll help with parts and advice. First: don't drive any further. If you haven't already done take of the cylinder head cover and check if the cam chain is loose. Then it's most likely the cam chain tensioner.
Heads up!
Michael
Michael, thanks a lot a for being so positive.

Bike is not here with me. I will have the opportunity to look it only in a few weeks. During this time the bike will be stopped, just waiting for me.

Yesterday talked to a Honda Dealer asking for a few prices (just to have an idea) and what I go was:

12194HB3000 gasket hole;
14520KW3003 tensioner;
14401KW3003 chain cam.
TOTAL: about 170 euros :oops:

Do you have any opinion about mechanic tensioner, like that from Krieger? A few years ago bought one for my KTM exc 450 and it was a good idea… :roll:

I’ll keep you informed… ;)

BTW, the sound is close to that one, only a bit less agressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmpNNE5p9ys
scrambler
Site Admin

NX250 cam chain tensioner

Beitrag von scrambler »

Petrus hat geschrieben: Fr Jul 14, 2017 3:34 pm Yesterday talked to a Honda Dealer asking for a few prices (just to have an idea) and what I go was:

12194HB3000 gasket hole;
14520KW3003 tensioner;
14401KW3003 chain cam.
CMS is usually a lot cheaper https://www.cmsnl.com/products/lifter-c ... 520kw3003/ – it only takes them some time to ship. But don’t worry, once we know what parts you need I can ship those asap (as soon as possible :D ;-)). I also have a source for more affordable cam chains.

But I don’t think you need a new chain at this point, lets try it first with a new cam chain tensioner – given that the cam chain is loose.
After taking off the cylinder head cover remove the tensioner. After removal of the tensioner do not turn the crankshaft.

Check the tensioner for any damages. If it looks ok check the function as given in the manual. If the function is ok you got two options. You could either use a new tensioner (since he caused the loosened cam chain) and be on the safe side or you could use mass out’s fix http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/n ... t-18344769 . I used this fix on my own NX for some time and it works perfect – and in my opinion this fix is better than any mechanical tensioner, since the pressure put on the cam chain is still determined by the spring of the cam chain tensioner. The problem I see with those mechanical tensioners is that nobody knows how much pressure is necessary – too much and the cam bearings might be damaged on the long run.

After installation of the tensioner check the timing of the cams – sometimes the chain skips a few teeth when the tensioner fails.
cam_chain_tensioner.jpg
cam_chain_tensioner2.jpg
For further reading
info_cylinder_head.pdf
- but there is a lot additional data that you hopefully never need ;) .
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Petrus

Beitrag von Petrus »

Thanks a lot for all the information and support!

Asap I will let you know what is inside the beast! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Probably will have opportunity to "take a look" this week-end..

One more question, that may be caused by my defective “english knowledge” when watching the manual:
After remove valve cover and remove the cam chain tensioner to test if it works ok (lifter operation) at the end I don’t have to left the rod locks in the retracted position, right? So, how many turns on anticlockwise will I do? The same that I did before on clockwise direction? :?
Antworten