NX250 Rear shock absorber

Open for English requests from all countries!
marcus

NX250 Rear shock absorber

Beitrag von marcus »

Hi all,
I would like to replace my rear shock absorber, on my NX250 from 1990.
As everybody knows, the rear shock on the NX250 is too soft.
I'm looking for a cheap solution, a new one from another brandt, or a second hand from another bike ?

I have heard, that it's possible to install a shock from a "Suzuki 600 bandit", but it seems complicate to adapt it, to the NX.
Do you know one shock from another motorcycle, that could fit the NX250, without cutting anything on the shock.

I'm 90 kg, and sometimes i travell with 40 kg of luggage.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: Rear shock absorber

Beitrag von scrambler »

marcus hat geschrieben:Hi all,
I would like to replace my rear shock absorber, on my NX250 from 1990.
As everybody knows, the rear shock on the NX250 is too soft.
I'm looking for a cheap solution, a new one from another brandt, or a second hand from another bike ?
Hi Marcus,
I’ve doubt that very much that there is shock from another bike that would fit plug and play. And I’ve spend quite some time looking for a replacement and the Bandit shocks are almost perfect in terms of spring rate and damping (at least for street riding).
I’ve got a few already modified bandit shocks, meaning that they are plug_and_play. Given your weight of 90kg you may consider a GSF650 shock; it’s stiffer than the one from the 600 Bandit. With my weight of 80kg I found it to be too uncomfortable – so it’s up to you to choose – the 600 shock for full comfort or the 650 shock for lots of reserves for heavy luggage.
Cheers, Michael
sauve qui peut
marcus

Beitrag von marcus »

And for a new shock, what is the choice and price ?
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

marcus hat geschrieben:And for a new shock, what is the choice and price ?
Of course a new shock, tailored to your weight etc. is always the best choice. The cheapest Wilbers shock is the 540 for 350€, intended for street use only. For offroad use the 640 or 641 is a better choice (http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40 ... 50&_sop=15).
The YSS shock with EG-approval (I don’t know if that’s required in France) comes for 300€. There is one vendor in spain (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=566) selling the YSS for 245€. But I don’t know if his shocks have EG-approval and if that vendor is trustworthy. He does not answer any questions in English.
sauve qui peut
marcus

Beitrag von marcus »

Thanks a lot Michael,
In France we have SHOCK FACTORY
http://www.shock-factory.fr/mshock-amortisseurs.html

The price is 395 € ( delivered ), but I don't know if they have a shock for the NX250
marcus

Beitrag von marcus »

Here is a video ( Installing a Suzuki Bandit Rear Shock on a 1988 Honda NX250 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c31c8yz_nMs

I have this shock ( below ) from a Suzuki 600 bandit from 2004, in my garage.
Do you think i can adapt it to my NX250 ( from 1990 ) like the guy has done in the video ?

Bild
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 rear shock mods

Beitrag von scrambler »

Yes, that's the correct shock, given that it is not defective it should do a good job ;)

I was always looking for a affordable replacement shock (not for myself but for the NX community - I prefer WP shocks) from other bikes, but all I tried were still too soft (or too long or too short). Some time ago I stumbled upon a documentation of all WP shocks build http://www.wp-germany.com/de/Kontakt/Downloads.html .
Bild

Conveniently, the spring rate as well as the length of the shock is listed, so I could quickly check whether there are any suitable shocks. As said, most were too long or the spring rate not sufficient. But the GSF600 (type WVA8) shock proved just perfect, the length almost identical, spring rate a bit higher than WP recommended and the damping is adjustable.
Bild
Shocks from the Bandit 650 look similar, but the spring rate is way too high - only recommendable with a drivers weight above 200 lbs (see below). Earlier 600 bandit (type gn77b) shocks are too short (and too soft). And the documentation confirms my impression that the white SV650 shock (type wvby) is too soft, the yellow (type av) comes close to what is recommended for the nx in terms of spring rate.

The upper mount of the gsf skock is 30mm, so you have to grind it down to 25mm to make it fit into the NX250 frame.
Bild
And the spring adjuster is in the way of the air box, so here is also a bit of modification necessary.
Bild
Bild

And you need a longer bolt plus nut, since the lower link of the shock has no thread.
Bild
The gsf600 shock proved perfect for my weight of 80kg with the lowest dampening setting and intermediate spring preload. So I guess this shock could also take heavier guys, riding by two or doing some serios offroad stuff.
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 Rear shock absorber

Beitrag von scrambler »

The shocks of the GSF650 Bandit (type WVB5) can also be used. When testing the damping, it is noticeable that it is even tighter than that of the 600 Bandit shock. The spring wire is also 0.5mm thicker.

Bild

This makes the 650 shock even harder. Even with the slightest pretension I still find it too hard with my miserable weight of 80kg, so it simply tramples too insensitively over potholes or similar. Though with two people, the spring hardness fits and bumpy stretches are ironed out well.

Hence my conclusion: up to about 100kg load: GSF600 shock absorber, only those who are usually on the road with significantly more weight will probably need the harder 650er leg.

Unfortunately, there are no type specifications on the shocks. The numbers at the bottom of the fork foot are different for each shock absorber and are probably just acceptance numbers or something similar.

The picture shows the only visual difference: the 600 damper housings are welded underneath, while the 650 seems to be pressed. If you're picking a shock absorber out there, be careful you get the right version - older ones are too soft and the newest ones lack damping adjustment. So always pay attention to the type (WVA8 or WVB5) and ask if necessary.

Bild
sauve qui peut
marcus

Beitrag von marcus »

Hi scrambler, thank you for the details
;)
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

marcus hat geschrieben: So Apr 23, 2023 11:40 am Hi scrambler, thank you for the details
;)
you are welcome ;) - so, have you already installed a Bandit shock? A little report with pictures is always nice.

Here is all the information about the Bandit shock absorber at a glance

Bild
sauve qui peut
Antworten