NX250 / AX-1 taillight & fender

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
scrambler
Site Admin

NX250 / AX-1 taillight & fender

Beitrag von scrambler »

One of the weak points of the Nixie is her rear fender extension. It lacks the reinforcement the NX650 fender has – so I had a small series of such a reinforcement for the NX250 produced (see below).
Bild
Without that reinforcement, the long fender extension bends the fender just at the angle were the taillight lens is attached, causing squeaking noises during driving and cracks in both fender and taillight lens.Taillight lenses are thus an abundantly needed part.
Bild

The US nixies got a seperate licence plate light and a different taillight lense -- and now the US taillight lenses are out of stock, probably never to be produced again?
4c95b2a2829c5a8acb2cf9edd44e9b60.jpg
10dbcdad3e3786e29a4dd4548c82595b.jpg

Bild

Luckily, the EU Version is still available http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nx250-domina ... OSSXSzbsdA and fits. And the EU lense got a clear window below, so it doesn`t need a separate license plate light. Here a guy already got rid of the license plate light - the red circles indicate where it was bolted to the rear fender.
Bild
While you are at it you could change the bulb of the rear light (32/3W or 27/7W) with the more common 21/5W (stock in EU Versions). Saving these watts (the license plate light is another 8 W) will be beneficent, since the US versions sometimes got problems with sufficient charging of the batteries. This is something that is extremely rare with Euro-nixies, since the electric systems are identical it likely has something to do with the extra power consumed by the rear US illumination.
Bild
Bild

Most aftermarket taillight lenses are AX-1 parts. Since die AX-1 was also named NX250 by Honda this led to some confusion among the traders. But the lenses are different (the AX-1 lens is flatter) and AX-1 lenses won’t fit on NX250 taillights (and vice versa).
Bild
Another option would be to buy a cheap Chinese duplicate of the AX-1 rear fender extension. It fits plug and play to any NX250 rear fender and is cheaper http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rear ... 1021872423 than the OEM EU lense alone.
Bild

Big advantage: the much smaller and lighter extension puts less stress on the upper fender – so no noise and no cracks.And it looks nicer :D

Bild
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
estebangc

Re: NX250 / AX-1 taillight

Beitrag von estebangc »

Hi Michael,

That is a very useful information for those in need of those taillights. Not my case, but I do appreciate as well.

It is very nice of you to post it in English so that it is available to more NX owners.

Regards,

Esteban
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 / AX-1 taillight

Beitrag von scrambler »

As said, I had some reinforcements made to save our fenders.
Bild
The reinforcement is attached with two longer M6 bolts / nuts and two short M8 bolts. Sometimes the M8 threads are rusty, then it might be necessary to recut the thread (or maybe it’s just my NX – lots of winter driving)
Bild
Since the rear fender extensions of NX250/NX650 are identical there is already a thread which can be used to attach the reinforcement.
Bild
Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 / AX-1 taillight & fender

Beitrag von scrambler »

A durable fender option is an Acerbis LED taillight https://www.acerbis.com/motorsport/en/p ... 822#a_page. Almost unbreakable and DOT approved. It’s attached to the modified fender plate. The top fender has to grinded and the big gap of the stock taillight is closed with fiberglass laminate or the like. I also made a few new fiberglass fenders with the aid of a negative mold - but thats a lot of work.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hi Scambler...just checking in to see what you've been up to! Weather's improving here so I'm clearing the decks getting ready to restart the AX1 project. I'm loving the rear fender brace. I've not looked into it properly but I did notice the cracks in the tailpiece...definitely a weak point with the design. The plastic (abs?) itself isn't particularly resilient, compared to the type they use on full fat dirt bikes. I reinforced the tailpiece around the tail light from the underside using the 'melted cable tie plastic stitch welding technique' shown below, but I'm interested in the tailpiece brace, if you have any remaining. There's very little clearance around the stock oem tail light so not much scope for proper strengthening of the plastic itself. In the past, on another bike, I've used aluminium plate (1mm thickness) bent to shape, heated up with a blow torch and literally dropped into place...melts into the plastic and is undetectable from the outside (cosmetic) face....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRCMIDILfEI
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: So Mär 01, 2020 2:22 pm I'm interested in the tailpiece brace, if you have any remaining.
Which part would that be? Maybe we could have a deal, because in the meantime my bestofbuilt hit a snag. The rear brake calliper is missing the brake pad “retainer”, a part used only in AX1 and CRM250 viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1629&start=10 . Impossible to find here, maybe used parts dealers in the UK got that part. I would also take an entire calliper, if necessary.
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hi Scrambler...will have a look for you.
Antworten