Rear wheel not round...

Open for English requests from all countries!
fikse

Re: Rear wheel not round...

Beitrag von fikse »

If/when I would go for the wheel-building, the wheelbuilder needs 4 spokes: inner/outer and left/right. Then they can make new spokes that will fit the rim we select and the hub we have. So I belive it would be OK for me to ship 4 spokes to the company, they make the spokes, ship loose spokes and rim to me. I can mount, my local Honda-garage will do the adjusting for the amount previous mentioned. It's a one hour job. I belive the shipping cost of shipping my hub to (Germany), and shipping a complete wheel back to me, will eat the profit very fast? :roll:
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

fikse hat geschrieben:If/when I would go for the wheel-building, the wheelbuilder needs 4 spokes: inner/outer and left/right. Then they can make new spokes that will fit the rim we select and the hub we have. So I belive it would be OK for me to ship 4 spokes to the company, they make the spokes, ship loose spokes and rim to me. I can mount, my local Honda-garage will do the adjusting for the amount previous mentioned. It's a one hour job. I belive the shipping cost of shipping my hub to (Germany), and shipping a complete wheel back to me, will eat the profit very fast? :roll:
Probably. But how would you get the 4 spokes that would fit to the NX hub and the wide rim? Usually the wheel builder needs both to calculate length/angle of the spokes. What I can offer: if I ever hear of somebody planning to build a wheel like that I ask him to order a second set of spokes. Then you only need the same sort of rim (I would not take it for granted that all the different rim brands need the same spokes) … and someone who will drill holes into the rim, because usually they come undrilled.
sauve qui peut
fikse

Beitrag von fikse »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Probably. But how would you get the 4 spokes that would fit to the NX hub and the wide rim? Usually the wheel builder needs both to calculate length/angle of the spokes. What I can offer: if I ever hear of somebody planning to build a wheel like that I ask him to order a second set of spokes. Then you only need the same sort of rim (I would not take it for granted that all the different rim brands need the same spokes) … and someone who will drill holes into the rim, because usually they come undrilled.
Nice suggestion. We keep in touch, no rush etc. And of course, if/when I do this sometime, I will of course share all info I've got.
The idea of only shipping 4 spokes comes from the Swedish Wheelbuilder I mentioned earlier, and I also saw the same on a UK-based wheelbuilder. 4 spokes (or actually only two spokes in the case of NX, it has only 2 types of spokes, 18 of each) is enough for them to make new spokes suited to the rim they provide as a set. And it should be bought as a set: The Swedish company told me that there is several points to take into consideration. Like hub type, hub dia, hub hole placement, spoke type (at least 6 different types), spoke angle, spoke diameter, spoke gauge, length of diameter, nipple diameter inside and outside, nipple length... Pew! But as the Swedish guys said, they have already quite some info for most hubs made (well, at least for japs like our NX), and also they can calculate length on new spokes by measuring the old spokes, and compensate for the new rim: New wider rim will have more cross-placed spoke-holes than an average 2,5" rim. Central Wheel in UK have a bit info on their page, who is useful. For me all that info is enough to make me certain I will not even try to build myself :D
Antworten