Random questions :D

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
Kivi

Random questions :D

Beitrag von Kivi »

Hello!
I've been reading forum, and so much info here, but I still haven't found some info that is in my mind.

If I understand correctly, all 3 - NX, AX and Degree share almost the same frame, but the XL has a different geometry? All 3 frames has the same "weak" spot at the area of rear muffler? Muffler on all 3 is stressed member and part of the frame, even on the, more dirt oriented, XL D?!
I was looking at one NX ther other day, witch has rusted exhaust.....and I can tell you that the muffler lost its function of strenghtening the frame, so the tail of the frame was moving left-right on a light push with my hands.

What were the years of manufacturing of Degree 1 and what year started the Degree 2 and upto what year?

Differences between the Degree 1 and 2, beside the rear disc and colors/decals?

Does the alu wheels on the AX-1 tend to brake? They are aluminum alloy, which are "street" wheels, but the bike is, at least 50-50% on-off road...

The MD21 engine was changed to a 239cc MD25engine arround 1990, for the NX and AX? But the later years XL D again has 249cc engine, right?

I will sure have more questions, if someone finds this discussion interesting... Thanks!
scrambler
Site Admin

differences AX1, NX250 and XL250 Degree

Beitrag von scrambler »

Interesting questions ;)
Kivi hat geschrieben: Mi Mär 04, 2020 9:07 pmIf I understand correctly, all 3 - NX, AX and Degree share almost the same frame, but the XL has a different geometry?
The NX250 and AX1 frames are almost identical. The only difference is the missing brake cylinder bracket of the NX250 frame.
The XL250 frame not only has a different geometry, it is also made of round steel instead of square steel. And the frame is where the foot pegs are attached reinforced – the NX250/AX1 solution is pretty flimsy for an off-road bike and tends to bend.

Bild
Kivi hat geschrieben: Mi Mär 04, 2020 9:07 pmAll 3 frames has the same "weak" spot at the area of rear muffler? Muffler on all 3 is stressed member and part of the frame, even on the, more dirt oriented, XL D?!
Right, and the mufflers are interchangeable. I had an NX250 (US) muffler at my Degree for some time. About the years of manufacturing of the Degree, I will later look for my official Honda spare part catalogue - there is all the info you need.
Kivi hat geschrieben: Mi Mär 04, 2020 9:07 pm Does the alu wheels on the AX-1 tend to brake? They are aluminum alloy, which are "street" wheels, but the bike is, at least 50-50% on-off road...
From what I read not at all. Someone wrote years ago that the rear wheel didn’t bend or brake even though a car was driven over it.
Kivi hat geschrieben: Mi Mär 04, 2020 9:07 pm The MD21 engine was changed to a 239cc MD25engine arround 1990, for the NX and AX? But the later years XL D again has 249cc engine, right?
Almost. The AX1 and XL250 Degree (the latter with noticeable less power) always had the 249ccm engine. And in France, the MD21 had the 239ccm engine from the beginning. Why remains a total enigma. It was supposed that this was due to some insurance or tax issues, but there is no proof for that.
NX250 MD21 france.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Re: differences AX1, NX250 and XL250 Degree

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Do Mär 05, 2020 7:04 am And in France, the MD21 had the 239ccm engine from the beginning. Why remains a total enigma. It was supposed that this was due to some insurance or tax issues, but there is no proof for that.
In fact you are totaly right Mickaël, at this time (it ended in 1992 I think) VAT was different (higher) for 240cc + motorcycle...
So, concerning the NX, downgrading it from 249 to 239 cc would have make it 10% cheaper.
But no insurance issue here ...
Patrick
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: differences AX1, NX250 and XL250 Degree

Beitrag von scrambler »

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Fr Mär 06, 2020 5:44 pm [at this time (it ended in 1992 I think) VAT was different (higher) for 240cc + motorcycle...
So, concerning the NX, downgrading it from 249 to 239 cc would have make it 10% cheaper.
Ok, that would make sense. And maybe (just a thought) Honda noticed that the 239cc version had less problems with the crankshaft bearings. That’s why 1990 they switched to the 239ccm engine for the entire European market.
By any chance, do you know how many NX250 were sold in France?
sauve qui peut
Antworten