Muffler ... what else ?

Open for English requests from all countries!
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 muffler ... what else ?

Beitrag von scrambler »

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Di Jan 14, 2020 5:38 pm I went to my friends and they can do nothing to weld the original muffler.
Yes, my own experienced welder refused to weld any more NX250 mufflers, that’s why I had the idea with the ebay mufflers.

For the arrow db-killer you need something with at least 60mm inner diameter – something like this https://www.ebay.de/itm/Edelstahl-Bogen ... 1438.l2649
The outer diameter is 63,5mm or 2,5’’ inch

Bild
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Re: Muffler ... what else ?

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi there,
I received the silencer from ebay. I cut the original muffler. It was easy as it is roasted.
I set the silencer with aluminium tape and started the engine.
DSC_0135.JPG
Wow what a lovly noise. If it is possible to add sound or video to the forum, I will do that.
But I borrowed a sound level meter at my work and it goes to 113 db at 6000 rpm. It is far too loud at this point. I haven't received the dB killer yet and will repost a new measure when it comes.

Again thank you for your help Scrambler.

Patrick
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 muffler ... what else ?

Beitrag von scrambler »

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Do Jan 23, 2020 6:41 pm But I borrowed a sound level meter at my work and it goes to 113 db at 6000 rpm.
I promise it will be way less noise with the db-killer ;)

As for the Arrow muffler you mentioned https://www.car.gr/parts/view/24420268- ... misewn-0-0 it looks like it is a self made modification and it lacks two brackets for attaching it to the nX250 frame. And its expensive.
NX250 Arrow muffler.jpg
There are lots of mufflers for the AX-1 in Greece https://www.car.gr/parts/?models=Honda% ... ax1&ca=711 but nobody knows how they perform in terms of power and noise.

This one costs only 70€ but it also lacks one attachment point. And due to its small size the performance is likely not very good.
greek AX1 muffler.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: NX250 Muffler ... what else ?

Beitrag von scrambler »

bytheway: don't throw away the original NX250 db-killer. It can be used to repair a NX250 muffler and provides a bit more sound to a MD25 :)
dbkiller_nx250.jpg
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

scrambler hat geschrieben: Fr Jan 24, 2020 9:03 am I promise it will be way less noise with the db-killer ;)
OK I know it Will be less :D
scrambler hat geschrieben: Fr Jan 24, 2020 9:03 am There are lots of mufflers for the AX-1 in Greece https://www.car.gr/parts/?models=Honda% ... ax1&ca=711 but nobody knows how they perform in terms of power and noise.
Yes that is what I was affraid off !
Anyway I asked Arrow if they ever made a silencer for the NX 250 or AX-1 I am waiting for the reply...
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

I received the answer from Arrow and it is a self made exhaust as expected.

Still waiting for the dB-killer...
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Fr Jan 24, 2020 11:09 am I received the answer from Arrow and it is a self made exhaust as expected.

Still waiting for the dB-killer...
To be honest, most aftermarket slip-on silencers can be made to fit really easily with a 'reducer' from an exhaust parts company. They can make more or less whatever ID/OD and length you need...nice to keep as much of the original as possible, but often the oem muffler is the first thing people change
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Jan 29, 2020 11:20 pm To be honest, most aftermarket slip-on silencers can be made to fit really easily with a 'reducer' from an exhaust parts company. They can make more or less whatever ID/OD and length you need...nice to keep as much of the original as possible, but often the oem muffler is the first thing people change
True, but some guys don't take into account that the NX250 needs a sturdy muffler since it is crucial for the stability of the rear frame. But almost all aftermarket mufflers are made of thin steel, riveted and attached with a clamp. That won’t work without a reinforcement of the rear frame.
Auspuff Griechenland AX1.jpeg
greek AX1 muffler
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Jan 29, 2020 11:20 pm To be honest, most aftermarket slip-on silencers can be made to fit really easily with a 'reducer' from an exhaust parts company. They can make more or less whatever ID/OD and length you need...nice to keep as much of the original as possible, but often the oem muffler is the first thing people change
Yes absolutely, I found nearby some guys that could weld anything I want including a standard silencer on any pipe ...
But I would like to add to scrambler's reply that I realy need my bike to be as quiet as Honda made it. I have to go to work early (6 am) and don't want my wife, kids and Neighbors to be awaken :D
Finaly I will add that playing with exhaust often results in power loss.
On my '98 600 Bandit, all the aftermarket exhausts were worst that the original exept one.
Japanese has lots of engineers and some of them are to design exhaust. It is a realy hard work to get something quiet and powerfull.
Zigomatix

Re: Muffler ... what else ?

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi there,
because of COVID, I couldn't get my muffler welded.
It's now done here is what I have finaly done :
DSC_0058.JPG
Part A :
Honda's original muffler
Part B :
Satinless steel tube 10 cm long and 100 mm diameter (painted in black)
Part C :
Universal automotive mufflers (see earlier posts for details) 100 mm diameter 250 mm long and 50 mm inlet
Part D :
Honda's original rear cap
Part E :
Stainless steel tube 45°, diameter 60 mm
Part F:
Arrow's DB killer for all Paris Dakar Replica silencers-exhausts

I also added, that is why I needed the B part, this DB killer welded at the intake side :
Inner DB killer.png
I took the B type 50,8 mm diameter 71 mm long. The 50,8 mm diameter welded on the automotive muffler so the 37 mm diameter became intake.

It looks like that :
DSC_0065.JPG
That is the technical side.

I had a run with it before finishing and the bike was running realy well with alomst no more noise than official muffler (as long as I remember).
I Will confirm that with a DB metter soon.

More pictures of the new muffler on the bike soon.
See you

Patrick
Antworten