Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
scrambler
Site Admin

Re: Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Beitrag von scrambler »

Zigomatix hat geschrieben: Do Feb 13, 2020 2:21 pm Hi Mickaël,
This part was also used on the 1989 250 CRM sold in UK
(see here : https://www.bike-parts.fr/honda-moto/af ... 3111KW3006)
Thanks, that would be an option. But the CRM is also rare - that's the cheapest caliper I could find
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Honda-CRM250-CR ... ondition=4
sauve qui peut
Zigomatix

Beitrag von Zigomatix »

Hi Mickael,
I thought you were only missing the retainer, not the whole caliper.
Patrick
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

also used on the XLR 250 R (1988) 43111 KW3 006

are you just after the retainer clip or the full caliper?

I'll try the dirt bikw breakers in the UK. They don't generally advertize online. If I find one I'll let you know. :)

David Silver Spares UK may also have one. He does moat of the classic OEM parts...
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

As a last resort, I can take mine off and make one up to match....I'm pretty sure it's just stainless shim stock. Could be trimmed up with a Dremmel.
I'll try the breakers first....

or maybe try Car.GR in Greece for a full caliper?

https://www.car.gr/parts/?sort=modified ... odels=AX-1

the Greek phrase for rear caliper brake pad retainer clip is:

"píso klip daktýlou synkrátisis" :D
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: So Mär 08, 2020 2:18 am the Greek phrase for rear caliper brake pad retainer clip is:
"píso klip daktýlou synkrátisis" :D
Yes, and I already know the Greek phrase for a German inquiry:
“It will cost you big bucks” :D

So I ordered one from Japan – the retainer is visible on of the pics.
Bild

And I also bought a CRM250 brake calliper in the UK. But the brake pads look different and the retainer looks shorter, but it’s hard to judge. If the retainer won’t fit I’ll try if the entire CRM calliper will fit the AX1 swing arm.

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

if the crm retainer shares the same dimensions but is longer, I'm sure you could probably modify it to fit... ;)

I was in the garage today changing the lower wishbones on my car...accidently knocked a box off a shelf, which contained all the various bits I've removed from my AX1 crankcases :shock: It's been a few months since I stripped the cases and I've now reached the stage where I was picking up pieces and couldn't remember what goes where :lol:

It'll all make sense when I come to rebuild it. Only real concern is reinstalling the water pump, as it's a press fit into the case, and I think it would be easy to damage the casing without the proper press tools. I'll see what I can make up...
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Finally my package from Japan arrived. It’s a complete rear brake, including brake cylinder and reservoir.

Bild

The “new” brake is a bit different concerning the front bolt to attach the brake pads. But more important: it had the darn retainer. And wouldn’t you know it – minutes before I took that picture I found the missing retainer – in the box, where I keep misc. brake parts :roll:

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

in the UK we have a phrase for that: we call it Sod's Law...not sure if it translates into German, but like Newton's Law 'every action has an equal and opposite reaction' , Sod's Law dictates that if you drop a piece of toast it lands buttered side down more often than not. Finding your missing caliper shim shortly before or shortly after you've bought a replacement verifies Sod's Law :lol:

The AX1 is coming along OK. Dropped the engine so I could repaint the frame in all the places it needed touching up. I used premixed basecoat and lacquer, rather than powder coating, as the original paint was pretty good and very little corrosion on the areas the paint was missing. Now going through all the plastics finding tiny cracks that weren't apparent until very close inspection. Had some good results with a product called 'Wonderflex'...it's a thin sheet thermoplastic impregnated mesh that you heat up with a heat gun. It has an adhesive mixed in which activates on heating. You can use it as a sort of plastic sticking plaster (heftpflaster) which can be moulded to shape and layered up to provide reinforcing behind panels etc.

It's actually used to make theatrical costumes and forms but I found it perfect to strengthen the tail section around the tail light and some of the flimsy mounting lugs....link below. worth checking out for future repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YElXK-_uIAg

NB/ feel free to move this post if it gets in the way of your project thread :)
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: So Apr 12, 2020 3:36 pm in the UK we have a phrase for that: we call it Sod's Law..

NB/ feel free to move this post if it gets in the way of your project thread :)
You are welcome :D . It’s not that I’m making much progress here … we say Murphy’s law. But it’s acutally not bad, now I got three complete AX1 rear brakes – one for my AX1, one for the bestof and one for a future project (I also have a spare swingarm).

To get myself motivated I put everything necessary together for the first roll-out. As planned, the XL600 hybrid fork is much shorter than the NX650 fork of my red Nixie.

Bild

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: Mi Apr 15, 2020 5:49 pmThose forks look perfect judging by how the bike sits. I found the oem AX1 forks to be very soft, but the previous owner had replaced the springs with Hagon progressives and also replaced the rear shock with a Hagon unit.
Never tried Hagon parts, but other aftermarket fork springs were rather disappointing viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1668. Not only because of this a NX650/XL600/Transalp fork is a breeze :D .

Time to adjust the basic setting – with 180mm way of travel the negative travel (when sitting on the bike) should be around 60mm

Bild

With NX650 fork springs (which I already used in my own Nixie) and the adjustable fork plugs no additional spacers are necessary.

Bild

And the rear YSS shock was also adjusted to 60mm negative travel. The adjustment is way easier without the muffler and the airbox.

Bild

The damping adjustment is very effective - I choose an intermediate setting. I’ll see how that’s fits after some test driving.

Bild

And while I’m at it I tightened all screws of the swingarm, it’s easier when the bike already sits on the wheels. I’m not sure about the 45Nm for the lower shock bolt – that is meant for the original NX250 shock, which has a steel fork eye. The YSS has an aluminium one so 45Nm is presumably too much.

Bild
sauve qui peut
Antworten