Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Open for English requests from all countries!
Antworten
daleipi

Re: Best of NX250 / AX1 / XL250 Degree built

Beitrag von daleipi »

any idea why the encircled area is blocked from the airflow?

NX250_XL250_Degree_radiator_1.jpg

it seems to me that, on the NX250, most of the air is flowing 'under' the tank anyway. so the vents in the fairing are for optics mostly.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
scrambler
Site Admin

NX250 oil temperature

Beitrag von scrambler »

daleipi hat geschrieben: So Mai 31, 2020 12:05 am any idea why the encircled area is blocked from the airflow?
I guess its for deflecting the hot air from the driver's knee. The AX1 fairing had something similar, the lower part of the window is closed.

honda ax1 fairing.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

Hmmm? that's odd. mine didn't have a piece there, only the mesh. Still, if it's just a small piece of plastic to deflect heat it would be easy to make something. Making some progress on mine. Just waiting for a water pump oil seal so I can refit the clutch side case cover and fire her up for the first time in months...

IMG_20200531_185005.jpg
NB/ I finally got my hubs back from the powder coaters (who was on a go slow during the Covid crisis) so I've posted a couple of pics on the spoked wheel conversion thread
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

looks great, all nice and shiny - keep up the good work :D

In former builds I used Trailtech Vapor speedos, highly recommendable viewtopic.php?t=359
But for my bestof I wanted a traditional speedo. For that the NX250 speedo cable is too short – the XL350R or NX650 cable is about 10cm longer (note that aftermarket cable lengths may vary “one size fits all”).

Bild

But the XL350 cable is too long and would touch the radiator (red dotted line). So I ended up with a MTX80 (1982) cable which is only 5 cm longer (https://www.ebay.de/itm/Tachowelle-Hond ... 2749.l2649) and fits much better.

Bild

Another benefit: it has a bended tube, so the cable is already directed to the left.

Bild

And I also found a solution for the choke with a domino lever (used in older KTMs) https://www.ebay.de/itm/0444747-0-Domin ... 1438.l2649
And the Trailtech temperature gauge also found a place to live. 13°C in June – not much of global warming around here :D .

Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

Made two fender struts out of 3mm thick steel plates to accommodate the degree rear fender.

Bild

It’s tight but the tool bag fits under the degree fender – even with a NX250 I wouldn’t go anywhere without some basic tools.

Bild

Seatconcept foam with custom made cover. Side covers white or blue? I haven’t decided yet. That’s the cover of my AX1 in PB-171 M trad blue metallic – if I choose blue it will be the lighter PB182 florida blue of the degree tank. I like the design of the tank shroud – unfortunately the other side doesn’t have those decals. So far I could not find a reproduction.

Bild

The Degree has a much nicer rear, in my opinion :D

Bild
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

if you can get a good quality photo of the Degree logo, and some general dimensions (eg the size of rectangle it would fit in) I might be able to do an inkscape file for desktop printing and send it via email. Simple job for a vinyl printer to do a 'kiss cut' sticker

I've done a few now for previous bikes...did this one below for the AX1, even though you can still get reproductions

AXdecalfinalsvg.png
NB this can be stretched/shrunk and re coloured to whatever...

g1174.png
this says 'Little Owl' in japanese....Owls bring good luck and protection and I reckon the AX1 looks like an owl :D
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

jonathan hat geschrieben: So Jun 07, 2020 10:49 pm if you can get a good quality photo of the Degree logo, and some general dimensions (eg the size of rectangle it would fit in) I might be able to do an inkscape file for desktop printing and send it via email. Simple job for a vinyl printer to do a 'kiss cut' sticker
Looks good, I'll keep that in mind. But although I have had bad experiences with aftermarket stickers in the past in fit (too small) and quality, I could not resist and bought a sticker set for a 1992 XL250 degree.

At first glance they look good, the colors are not 100% identical.

I will scan and digitize the stickers, then I can later reproduce them in any color (e.g. in red for my red nixie)

Bild

Bild

Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

I almost forgot that I still need a gear lever for the test drives. I like these aluminum levers that were designed for the XT600. These are 2cm longer than the original XT lever, the same length as the NX250 shift lever. Stock XT600 levers are too short.

Bild

You have to grind them slightly at the top and bottom so that they don't touched the chain or the lower chain slider.

Bild

They are ok for road use but for bulky off-road boots they are too short. In addition, the lever would have to be mounted one tooth further up so that you can shift while standing on the footrests . But then the lever hits the sprocket cover. At some point I have to have something adjustable welded together.

Bild
sauve qui peut
scrambler
Site Admin

Beitrag von scrambler »

There was still some remaining work to be done on the electrical system. The small XL250 headlight (identical to e.g. XR600) is a real toughy because it is not DOT approved. And without DOT no road approval. A XR600 headlamp with DOT number was nowhere to be found - luckily I found an old aftermarket headlamp in my barn, which I bought years ago in Israel (!) - with DOT number.

Bild

Mission accomplished - everything lights up, flashes and honks as it should. Not necessarily as expected, because of the modified handlebar switches from the NX650.

Bild

Fill in coolant - the old green agents are not miscible with the new, silicate-free red ones.

Bild

The engine oil has already been changed - I recommend Motul 7100 5W40 http://nx650.nx250.de/albums/userpics/1 ... l_2018.jpg.

Time for the first start. Hardly any other motorcycle starts as willingly as the NX250 - even after a rebuild practically at the first push of the button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw7NO385D5g
sauve qui peut
jonathan

Beitrag von jonathan »

by the time you get the new decals on you'll forget about the slight colour difference. I guess if you were doing a factory restoration for show then it becomes an issue. I'm hoping by the time you read this, you'll have been for a shake-down ride and come back with a big smile :D

I'm surprised the XL headlight isn't DOT approved as they were sold in the UK for on orad use, but these will have a different deflector

NB/ if you do decide to have some new decals printed up, be sure to ask the company to specify the vinyl they use, as they use different grades of adhesive and final coat for UV resistance...usually expressed in terms of 'years' eg '5 year exterior vinyl'. Alternatively, you could use matt decals and lacquer over with a UV stable clear coat
Antworten